Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Colorado Casserole

I've been trying to expand my meat horizons. I tend to get into chicken ruts. I could live on chicken and the occasional greasy hamburger for the rest of my life. Mr. B could not. So, want a yummy, spicy, wintery and only half chicken recipe? I'm so glad you asked!

Colorado Casserole (Adapted from Colorado Cache Cookbook)
Serves: 4 - 6

Meet your team: Thyme. 1 cup of Chicken broth. 4 tomatoes chopped. 1/2 cup green onions sliced. 2 Tablespoons Flour. 2 Chicken breasts and 2 - 4 Low-fat Italian Sausage links.

Poach the chicken breasts. I'm sure there's a real way to do this, but to me that means put the the chicken in water and bring to a boil, turn the heat down and let them simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts from the water and cube 'em.

Chop the sausage into slices and cook in a skillet with a little olive oil. Add the flour and cook an additional 2 - 3 minutes.

Mix all of the ingredients together in baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme. I went heavy on the thyme. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes.

Now, brace yourselves, because this might be the first time in imperfect history that I remembered to take a picture of the finished product before eating:


This is kind of a stewy casserole. I would suggest serving in low bowls. Maybe with bread to soak up the delicious broth. I served it on plates which led to a stain on my table runner and sweater and an interesting dinner conversation about what casseroles really are (we were both thinking stuck together cheesy things like Tuna Noodle casserole). Turns out, a casserole is pretty much anything you put in a pan and bake in an oven. Who knew?

5 comments:

  1. Yum.... I'm trying it. Ryan does not like casseroles, he makes sure I know that. So, I'll call it a stew. =)

    PS - Did I tell you I tried the Cranberry pork loin last week. It was YUM-tastic! Ryan was totally impressed and I told him it was all Emily! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some chicken and Italian sausage, so I think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two words I never thought you'd say: "meat horizons". Tee-hee.

    This casserole looks delish. I'm hungry again even though I just ate breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL at Freckles, that girl is so funny!

    You are such the chef - we should call you Emily Ray - cause you could totally be Rachels sister.

    ReplyDelete