Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Playing Dress Up

When I was interviewing for my first job out of school, my mom and I went shopping and bought a suit - that I've never worn as a suit. I always felt like I was playing dress-up in it.

When I worked for our local sports teams, suits were the norm for luncheons and charity events. I bought a black pencil skirt and matching jacket that I've always worn to more formal interviews, but shortly after I left the Sports Industry, I went into the high tech/startup world. Jeans and hoodies abound in this world.

So my dressing up style has slowly evolved so that I feel less like a little kid in grown-up clothes and still look polished. I love pencil skirts with belted cardigans and collared shirts for client lunches, meetings, and trips out to headquarters.

I was reading an article on Michelle Obama's style - and a stylist pointed out that our First Lady favors cardigans over suit coats. So I went searching for proof. Polished and put together without looking stuffy. It would be hard to argue against this lady being a class act regardless of what side of the political spectrum you fall on.



Credit


Credit


Credit


Credit

Hey, if it's good enough for the United States...

11 comments:

  1. I agree...I love her style. I think she is a beautiful lady. I don't believe we have seen style like this since Jackie O. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her style! Elegant and sophisticated without being stiff or unnatural. And I agree with pp regarding Jacki O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her style. And her. I still am surprised that Oprah allowed that photo on the cover of her magazine, though. Michelle looks gorgeous but Oprah looks dumpy in comparison, and is making a strange face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought a jacket and a skirt for interviewing- I refused to buy the suit my mom and I found. I felt like a little girl in my dad's suit coat. I still do- even with the skirt- but oh well. I would love to wear a cardigan rather than the jacket- but I don't think I can pull it off. But as you say- if it is good enough for America . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the green one with the high belt over the white shirt. Now if only I had the body to pull any of this off. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey :)

    i left you something on my blog...

    ps: her style is definitely lovely. I love cardigans!

    xoxo
    k

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is definitely stylish, and I totally know what you mean about playing dress up. I used to put on my mom's blazers when I was about eight, and wonder when I would be old enough to not feel like I was dressing up. I have a few of my own now, but still wear them rarely!

    Jenny
    www.wordsonwendhurst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually wear suits about 3 days/week, but I try to wear the dress/cardigan combo the other two days. I have to say, I still feel pretty polished and not so "corporate." And, I always love how Michelle looks... I need to find some belts to try to pull of the belted cardigan look. I never seem to be able to pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is one gorgeous, confident woman. I like that she doesn't dress stuffily. I hate suits. I own only two; I've worn them twice, and both are skirt suits. I'm not a good corporate dresser. I love the cardigan look.
    Fortunately, I get to wear a long white coat over whatever I wear to work, so pretty much anything goes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I don't even own a suit. Even when I'm interviewing, I tend to favor dress slacks, a nice shirt, and a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete