Mr. B is a good neighbor. If he sees you outside, he'll stop and chat you up. If he sees you carrying something heavy, he'll run outside to help. Your sprinkler system's leaking? He'll let you know and help fix it. He's just basically a nice person. So the good news is that our kids have a 50/50 chance of being nice.And, because Mr. B's social, we see our neighbors a lot. While walking Casco, we stop to talk. We talk to them at the pool. We stop to talk in the alley. When someone's house goes up for sale the neighbors all ask B what the story is - because they know that B knows everyone. So, B and I see a lot of our neighbors. But apparently we're the only ones, so some of the neighbors requested that B throw the Alley Party again this year.
And really, it's the easiest kind of party to throw. Everyone brought something to eat - I divided it by address. B and I provided wings, soda and beer. We threw our patio table and grill into the back alley, setup Cornhole to play, and everyone had a great time. And stayed. And stayed. And stayed.
We had a great time - but I didn't take pictures. So, do you guys know your neighbors? Anyone else have an annual block party?
And really, it's the easiest kind of party to throw. Everyone brought something to eat - I divided it by address. B and I provided wings, soda and beer. We threw our patio table and grill into the back alley, setup Cornhole to play, and everyone had a great time. And stayed. And stayed. And stayed.
We had a great time - but I didn't take pictures. So, do you guys know your neighbors? Anyone else have an annual block party?




We don't know our neighbors--not for lack of trying! When we moved in, no one would speak to us for months (uh, was there a homicide at our house?). We had to take THEM cookies, and even so they were all like "Um, no thanks."
ReplyDeleteNow that our front yard looks halfway nice, one or two of the men will stop by and say it looks nice.
One guy now waves since we gave his son a Nintendo chair for free.
But mostly, they're mean.
I love "our kids have a 50/50 chance of being nice". Classic.
ReplyDeleteWe live in the country so we know our neighbours but we're not really in close enough quarters to see them often.
i'm so jealous you know your neighbors!! our's are mostly a lot older than us and keep to themselves (i think kids usually help bring people together - or outside at least). we chat with a few but i wouldn't want to hang out with them. we have catlady, the lecherous used car salesman, and the people who don't speak english... but our best friends live in our neighborhood too- so it's not all bad!!
ReplyDeleteThe 50/50 chance of being nice thing cracked me up. You are hilarious.
ReplyDeleteWe know our next-door neighbors on both sides, and have gotten together a couple times with one of them, and keep meaning to get together with the other one. I want to meet the rest of our neighbors but they don't seem to be very forthcoming and it is hard to find a time to stop and talk when they don't make eye contact and if you do see them outside they are usually on the phone, you know? I have high hopes that in the next few years a few more young families will move into the neighborhood and we'll get to know them.
Also, apparently our HOA throws a BBQ in the park every summer? Except I don't think there was one this summer. I should ask our neighbors about that.
Not so much. We talk some- but nothing to the extent that you do!
ReplyDeleteThis is very cool. I love that B is so social. And, I'm pretty sure you children have a 100% chance of being nice. They just have a 50% chance of being a little saucy with the nicey.
ReplyDeleteWe don't have a block party. We know most of our neighbors since we spent a year fixing up the house (renovating makes neighbors stop by a lot). Maybe someday. We had a crazy huge annual block party (hog roast) when we were growing up. I loved that.
We vaguely know two of our neighbors, but we're by far the youngest in the neighborhood, so no one's very interested in making friends. You guys rock for throwing two block parties! :)
ReplyDeleteI wish you were my neighbors. Our neighbors are all 10-60 years older than us. We knew the ones on either side enough to say "hi", and Chester fence plays with their dogs. But that is it. I grew up in a super friendly 'hood. Like group vacations, dinners, etc. And I really miss it.
ReplyDelete"...our kids have a 50/50 chance of being nice" Hahaha that is exactly how I feel! Seeing as how I plan on marrying someone much nicer than me! :) Love it Mem!
ReplyDelete