Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Signature Me

Christmas and Birthday lists are tough for me to make. I'm not a materialistic girl. I buy myself nice basic, signature pieces; wear them until they cannot be worn anymore and then I replace them. I learned long ago that I don't pull off trendy - there's not a trendy thing about me. And because of that, I save money buying good pieces that I'll wear over and over again as opposed to a lot of less expensive but trendier items that I'll only wear a few times. I accent my wardrobe with statement pieces - ruffles and patterns - that I find on sale or at inexpensive stores. And shoes. Shoes don't excite me in the least, so I keep it simple.


Here's the signature me. A simple, classic Colorado girl. No fuss, no muss. Jeans (7 for All Mandkind and Gap); Thin V-Neck Sweaters, Inexpensive flats, Uggs or Rainbow Flip Flops; North Face fleeces and vests; and Pearls and my Longchamp tote.

Do you have a signature look? A shopping motto that keeps your spending in check? Sound off!

20 comments:

  1. I think you may be my fashion soulmate, lol.. thats exactly what I wear! (Plus a lot of J.Crew). I just love simple, QUALITY, comfortable basics, with a touch of color and girliness for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to buy anything that was on super sale, because it was a good deal. I've since curbed that habit, after getting rid of so many items that didn't go with anything, and feel apart, and didn't look good on me. Now I'm more of a printed knit shirt or v-neck sweater with jeans kind of girl. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't think I could have said it better myself (or designed it) That look is exactly my look! No trendy messy stuff, just simply me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm definitely right there with you - i would much rather wear a fleece jacket and jeans than anything trendy - and when i try to be trendy - i just look/feel silly. also, no one can believe that i really don't care about shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I wear pretty much the same things (or at least I did pre-pregnancy). I think the rafting town that I grew up in is a LOT like Colorado.

    I don't always even shell out for the North Face stuff...though I'm learning that maybe I should.

    PS- I am thinking about wearing jeans and a fleece to work today. It is not jeans day, but I think that I look so huge and uncomfortable right now that they might take pity on me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is pretty much me as well - I live in my 7's and a North Face fleece pretty much all winter. I have to get pretty dressed up for work, but that's usually pants, flats and a sweater as well. Very casual and comfy!! Love that pearl necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I have very similar taste. I'm impressed with both of us! I look forward to finding a few more signature styles now that I'm starting to fit into a lot more clothing brands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I alwyas think that I am going to create a signature look and buy classics that will last. Then I go into the stores and can't bear to spend the money on those classic pieces. So, I end up shopping the clearance racks and getting some good things there. (And of course some bad things, too.) Maybe one day I will be a grown up and buy classic looks that I really love and will last. Maybe . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before I even read the post, I decided we were the same person...I think I own everything in that picture. I have a black North Face that I wear daily. I have a purple Longchamp that is my new favorite purse (and I feel bad for the rest of my purses because they're just not going to get used anymore!). I switch between pearls and Tiffany silver as my daily (and let's face it, night time/party) jewelry, I generally wear jeans all winter, Rainbows all summer, and I am in LOVE with my Uggs (even though they're "ugly" according to everyone...). I also have about 7 pairs of ballet flats in different colors/patterns. I'm not fashionable enough to stay up on all the new trends, so this look to me just says classic and put together, and that's all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. um. this is just one of the 2345 reasons that i love colorado. i can walk into a restaurant in jeans and a sweatshirt and not feel like a bum because everyone else is wearing the same thing. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This outfit is pretty much exactly what I wore every day of winter in college! I don't know what I'd do without my North Face fleece.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your signature look. I wouldn't say I have a signature look. I personally just buy classic wear with one or two trendy pieces each season. I definitely don't go overboard with trend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do lots of turtlenecks and cardigans. I've found that I have had a lot of the same pieces for many years. I'm also not a big shoe person. I just get something that's comfortable and simple and wear them til they are terribly ratty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you're one chic 'Rado chick--not everyone can pull off pearls w/ jeans & flops! You must be my sister from another mother b/c I am the SAME way w/ clothes. Though I'm sort of into shoes. By "sort of" I mean spend our grocery budget on them.......

    My uniform: jeans, white cami, long grey wrap sweater, & "snappy" flats in an obnoxiously bright color. Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My uniform:

    straight legged jeans
    white tank
    cardigan
    flats

    Accessories include scarves, necklaces, or statement earrings and I've carried the same large handbag for two years. The leather gets better and better over time!

    I would say that I replace my rainbows every time they wear out, but I've only done that twice in 10 (no joke) years because they last so dang long! My Rainbow of choice: double sole, thin strap, dark brown. Love, love, love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am right there with you in my rainbows and North Face fleece. When I'm not in rainbows (aka when weather is too cold) you can find me in some flats. I love flats and jeans and a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just found your blog in my google reader and read that you are a Colorado Girl...me too!

    I like your outlook on style. Sometimes I feel like shopping for the latest trends can get exhausting. I love the puffy vest and shoes you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What brand are those cute flats??
    Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Right on!!! I totally agree with your style sense.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate shoe shopping, it might have something to do with my size 11 feet. I can never find anything cute for my boats. Where are the redish-orange flats from?

    ReplyDelete