Let me start this out by saying that I believe in Valentine's Day, commercialism and all. There's nothing wrong with recognizing someone on one particular day of the year, as long as you remember to do it the rest of the year, as well. I don't expect grand gestures on the day, but we acknowledge it and celebrate it. Or we try to, but Mr. B and I have had a history of Valentine's day failures, beginning with:
I called my older brother on February 10th.
Me: "Paul, pretend for a minute that you had just started dating someone, and your birthday AND Valentine's day were ten days later. What would you expect from this girl?"
Paul: "Who the hell are you dating and why haven't I met him?"
Me: "It's really not a big deal, it's just this guy named B____ and he lives next door to me, but back to the problem at hand."
Paul: "B____? No, Emily, you're not allowed to date him. Run, do not walk, to the nearest exit."
Me: "Haha, funny."
Paul: "No seriously, he went to my high school, my little sister is not allowed to date him".
My advice wielding older brother in his popped collar stage of life.
Anyway, after clarifying that there were two B____s, a year apart, both from Boulder but who went to separate high schools, and that I was dating the one my brother did not know, he suggested, "I don't know Em, just get him some candy and a Best Buy gift card or something. And I still need to meet him."
So the week went by and I was feeling sick. Downright awful, as a matter of fact. On the Friday before his birthday and Valentine's day, I stayed in. The next morning, I got up to go to the bathroom at about 7am and fainted in the hall of my sorority. And sorority girls aren't up at 7am unless they're still up, and then you don't want them helping you anyway.
So, I regained consciousness, crawled back to my room and called my roommate to come home and take care of me. She called my mom, and my mom and dad drove up to Boulder to bring home their fainting daughter. I remember sending B a text message along the lines of "I'm still sick and just fainted, my parents are here to take me to Denver. I know it's your birthday tomorrow, I'll try to be back". I felt like such a drama queen.
I laid on my mom and dad's couch all weekend, missing B's birthday celebration in Boulder. At about 8pm on Valentine's day, my mom stopped telling me to "Buck up", looked in my throat to see why I was being such a whiner, and took me to the Emergency Room. Good old mono.
Not Valentine's or Mono related...but a picture from our early days because pictureless posts are boring.
So when I finally got back to Boulder, I stopped on my way to pick up some candy and a Best Buy gift card. Lamest gift ever, it turns out. And that was our first Valentine's day together - apart.




I love it when you write posts like this - can't wait to read more!
ReplyDeletethat is too funny! we don't do well with vday either bc my bday is also in feb. it's a tough combo!
ReplyDeleteI'd definitely take a Best Buy gift card as a V Day present lol!
ReplyDeleteOur first two V-Days together were very disappointing for no fault of Torsten's, and now I'm pretty much over the holiday. I'm not against it, I have no problem with a day designated for love and romance, but I'm just not into it myself anymore. Thank god.
ReplyDeleteGreat post- fun to read, but here is the key qu- did you pass mono to B? That could be a fun story ;)
ReplyDeletePS- love your ribbon belt.
My bestest friend in the entire world has to deal with the fact that her husband's birthday is ON valentines day. How exactly do you say, "Happy Birthday! Here's your present? Now where's mine?"
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to read the rest!
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one left who LOVES Valentines day, so it's good to know you like it too! Can't wait to hear part 2!
ReplyDeleteCute story!! I met my husband right before Valentines Day too. I didn't get him anything but he bought me roses and wrote me a letter telling me how much our friendship meant to him. <3
ReplyDeleteAnd don't you just love big brother advice? I have 5 big brothers....it's a wonder I ever dated or married anyone!
I love this story. I can't wait to hear the rest of the Valentine's day failures. But I hope this year is a GOOD one!
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of you and your brother. We don't really go all out for Valentine's Day (or really any holiday, besides decorating of course), but I agree that any day that celebrates is okay by me. =)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'm still laughing about you fainting (sorry) and at "sorority girls aren't up at 7am unless they're still up, and then you don't want them helping you anyway". Em, you crack my world up!
ReplyDeleteAw, relationships early on are so worrisome aren't they?! Mr. FC & I started dating a week before his birthday and I didn't even get him anything. I went to a bar w/ some friends & watched the World Series instead. D'oh.
your valentines history is much more glamorous than ours. i think we've spent most of ours sick-no one wants to make out when there is snot or vomit involved!!
ReplyDelete