Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

TV Style Icons: Mary Tyler Moore

I was raised on Mary Tyler Moore re-runs. Disney princess had nothing on savvy Mary Richards for Caroline's kids.  My mom's a Minnesota girl and Mary spoke to her, so the boxed VHS set was our TV staple.


I loved Mary's first apartment on the show.  When my mom and I were out shopping the other day, we laughed at all the monograms at Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, Anthropologie and the likes.  I said to her "Do you remember when all I wanted was a gold M (for my last name) like Mary Tyler Moore had and we had to make our own because we couldn't find one anywhere?"


My mom still has the M that we made when I was in 7th grade in my old room - now a "Parent's Room" for when my brother's family visits - and you know how I love me a monogram just about anywhere.

My current favorite TV house (inside and out) is featured on Modern Family:


Any style icons on TV today? I shudder to think about what the High School Musical generation is learning about decorating from television these days.  That's what TV is for, afterall, right?


11 comments:

  1. We LOVE Modern Family. That show is some seriously funny stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I've never seen the MTM show. Is that insane? And I liked to think the hours upon hours I logged in front of the TV as a kid would make me well-equipped for situations like this. Maybe I should have gone for a little more Nick at Night instead of Saved by the Bell.

    I want Lily & Marshall's apartment from HIMYM. But as a house, not an apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my sister's in high school and i think her icons would be from gossip girl. pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also was raised on Mary Tyler Moore, I too will blame her for my love of monograms :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have any TV style icons, but I do love seeing old-style decor on reruns like Full House. The plaid couch! The 80s-style kid bedrooms! I heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the recent "House" episodes Wilson and House live in an awesome apartment!! All the fixtures, cabinetry, floors are so sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute that you loved monograms as a child, too. Some things die hard. Some shouldn't die at all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I forgot how chic MTM's apt was, OMG! However, I was definitely obsessed w/ her outfits. My mom could tell you, she'd catch me twirling and throwing my hat in the air just like the opening credits. HA!

    Girl, Modern Family is the ONLY show I ever dvr. Freaking hilarious. Love Jay & Gloria's interior decor; Cameron & Mitchell's too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i loved the house on "brothers and sisters". and i want the front porch of the "gilmore girls" house!! there is a big porch swing and porch in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always loved the house of the Father of the Bride movie. The flowers, the house, ahhhh

    ReplyDelete