Getting tossed or donated: a broken TV, two rain ponchos, an old blanket, a mattress pad, a random sheet, some decorations and half-done craft projects that will never be finished. 16 items in this pile to start.
And in the getting returned to their rightful owners, baby stuff that Thomas has outgrown (8 items including a not pictured bumbo seat). We are so grateful for our friends who loaned us their out of use baby items!
I'll get you an after picture when this is all said and done, I promise!
Now, moving upstairs, I tackled the junk drawer and junk cupboard. Starting with the cupboard. I was given loads of cookbooks when we got married. And, with the occasional exception, my cookbook of choice is the internet. I got rid of the ones that I've looked through a million times and never felt compelled to make something from. And I moved the maybes up to the top shelf - if I get them down in the next year, I'll keep them. If I don't they'll get donated next year.
Before:
After:
And the pile: 4 phone books, an old magazine, 3 cook books, my daytimer from 2008 and an inspirational marriage calendar. What does it say about me that I'm tossing out an inspirational marriage calendar? That we're inspired enough we don't need cute quotes that we forget to read? Hopefully. So 10 items in the junk cupboard (not counting all the papers I shredded, old nail polish that got tossed, etc.)
And, on to the junk drawer. Last June (in a "need to get this house clean before I have a baby" fit, I threw everything in the Junk drawer into a shoe box and stashed it under the drawer. I went back to it once - for my label maker. 6 months later, everything in the junk box got tossed out:
So, post clean-out, the Junk Drawer looks like this. Still a little junky, but at least everything has been used in the last 6 months (Looking at this picture now, I'm wondering why a family of non-smokers has three lighters...perhaps I'll revisit this drawer).
I'm counting the box as one item. So, in total we're at 35 for this week.
Head over to Words on Wendhurst to join the party - or see what everyone else is getting rid of this week.






That's impressive. You've motivated me to start cleaning this weekend. Heck, we moved in four months ago and still have boxes that haven't been unpacked and I'm beginning to wonder if we really even need that stuff.
ReplyDeleteI also understand having half a million lighters among a family of non-smokers...doesn't quite add up.
Good for you Em! That cabinet after pic had even me sighing with relief. Keep going!!
ReplyDeleteGreat job and your junk drawer organization gives me the motivation to tackle mine... it's so disasterous it's scary.
ReplyDeleteI totally got rid of about 8 cookbooks this week....all wedding shower presents that sucked. One set of 3 were even published in Australia and the measurements and ingredients were crazy. Thanks for the re-gifts, shower guests!
ReplyDeleteAnd why do I have such an interest in other people's junk? I was totally eyeing up your pile.
well done! Totally agree on the cookbooks, more and more I find recipes online, and only print out the very favorites. :-) Oh and the lighters? I have a million, because I married a pyro :-)
ReplyDeleteEmily, I've been reading for a while now and was inspired to join Jenny's linky due to your post. As for your "dump everything into a box" cleaning method-- I admit I've used it from time to time! Still, what a good way to tell what items you use regularly: the things that make it out of the box get to stay, everything else, adios!
ReplyDeleteJust reading this post makes me feel refreshed. You are satisfying my nesting instincts vicariously.
ReplyDeleteWow, what a great start to getting rid of clutter! Im so excited to participate in this challenge. By the way I am also particpating in the challenge at abowlfulloflemons.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteYou inspired me to throw some things out! An old printer, old hand held vac, pillow, and soon, a chair. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI totally would have counted the box as like 50 items! Good work!
ReplyDeleteGreat Job!! I am totally enjoying this challenge! I like that you posted "afters". And that you were brave enough to post your junk drawer. :)
ReplyDeleteThe before and after of the cabinet is great. I'm kinda shocked how much you were able to toss in a week? Did it a take awhile? I think I overthink those times of decisions.
ReplyDeleteLooking good. You are an inspiration. Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteAwesome job! I've gotta do the same with the junk drawer. A lot of things we don't use, but for some reason, I fear that I will need it. Ridiculous.
ReplyDeleteI was going to work on the office tonight. I'm hanging out on the couch instead. Bad.
What a great feeling getting all of that organized!!!
ReplyDeleteGood job. Guess I should think about organization but we just moved in Oct. so we are in fairly good shape.
ReplyDeleteMary Ann