Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Corralling the Baby Gear

Before we were expecting Thomas, I made grand blanket statements about how our kids would have one toy at a time and they'd eat on the floor before I'd have a high chair in my house.  I also once said I'd never name a kid Thomas because every Tommy in my class (good old Catholic school, there were a few of them) was obnoxious.  So obviously I should just keep my opinions to myself. Though I've accepted that with babies comes stuff, I'm still pretty militant about what comes through the door of our house and where it's stored.  Especially considering Thomas's favorite toy is the springy doorstopper in his room. 

The main floor of our house is pretty small.  We have the office, the long dining/living room, the breakfast nook (no, still no banquette seating) and the kitchen.  If we had a bigger living space, I might not be so controlling about how much baby stuff comes into the house.  Who are we kidding, I like having opinions, especially unpopular ones.  So, here's how I'm handling the accumulation of baby and kid stuff on the first floor of our house.

The kitchen has been my nemesis since we came home from the hospital with Thomas.  The hospital sent us home with this mauve tub full of pump parts. And the pump and I are intimately close three days a week four times a day.  And the mauve tub has taken up permanent residence on our counter since June 20th.  But I finally found a solution for all of Thomas's feeding supplies - bowls, bibs, spoons, bottles and pump parts that allowed me to kick the mauve tub to the curb.



I bought a square brown fabric bin at Target on sale after Christmas.  It's Thomas's food bin.  If it doesn't fit in the bin, he doesn't get to use it to eat.  Kidding.  Sort of.





Now everything's on the first shelf of the corner cabinet.  Easy to grab pump parts, easy to make a bottle for daycare, easy to find a bib. 

And in the living room, we rotate toys.  Anything that's not currently a favorite gets moved to the playmat in the basement, and we rotate occasionally.  And everything that gets to stay in the living room has to fit under the console table.  I'd love to say I have no plastic baby toys in plain sight, but I've learned that's unreasonable.  Instead, we keep them to a minimum.


The galvanized tub is my favorite.  It held flip flops at our wedding reception, beer at backyard parties after that, and now it holds our kids toys.  The circle of life?  I know we could buy cubes with lids to keep toys in, but I've found that this open system encourages me to use it.  And sure, you can see some plastic and toys.  But we do have a baby, afterall.  A little reality is okay with me.


This sit-to-stand walker is obnoxious, but Thomas loves it.  So it gets to hang out in the living room to encourage individual play.  And to help with my own musical development.  Sing along with me, "Welcome to our learning farm, we have lots to show you! Shapes and colors, music, too.  There's so much to doo-oo."


After we put Thomas to bed - or if someone stops by quickly without notice - I pick up anything that's out and put it in the tub and park the walker.  Between keeping things to a minimum and having easy, designated places to put things away, B and I have found that we're able to relax together a lot more easily after Thomas is in bed.

18 comments:

  1. The mauve tub! Mine sits in one half of my sink and corrals bottles, nips and pump parts to be washed. Is it sad that I secretly can't wait for Gabe to gain 4 more lbs so that he's too big for his swing and that monstrosity can finally get banished to the attic?

    And btw, out of all the Anthonys, Joeys and Michaels in school growing up, the 4 Tommys in my class were always the least d-baggy. So there's hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! Embrace the kid clutter! It only gets worse the older they get!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me laugh....I have the same tote like system at my house and I try to rotate the toys (if I remember)!!
    Really I am waiting on the day the toys get picked up by someone other than ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes. The corralling of the plastic. I am grateful every day for the huge closet in Madeline's room - we've installed shelves where everything has a place. At the end of the day, the only "kid" stuff left in the living room is the basket of books on the bottom shelf of the entertainment center.

    You're so right - it is MUCH easier to relax when all the plastic is put away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I love you! I keep telling my husband that we're not going to find out the gender of our baby to keep people from buying so much crap before our kid is even born. That probably makes me a horrible person, but oh well. I've also said "no toys in sight when not in use" but I'm afraid I'm going to end up in the same boat as you. LOVE that big tub!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW you seem so organized. Baby and kids stuff so easily seem to take over the house. Love all your idea's for keeping it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed that you put your pump parts away. Right now I only pump once a day and I just leave it out on the big obnoxious bottle drying rack. Ugh. Oh, and our little mauve tub busted the first week home from the hospital. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha - I love your metal tub. We use a lime green plastic one that in the past has been used for drinks at our pre-wedding events, drinks at my baby shower, and even bringing garden produce up to the house... love tubs! Great idea to cycle toys through I'll have to start doing that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought those brown fabric bins from Target to store baby clothes on the shelves of our changing table--love them! Kudos to you for being so organized. The only thing we have "hidden" are all of our 13 month old's books. Otherwise, we have a big blue tub of toys. However, I just bought a double storage ottoman from Target--maybe the toys will go in there? We will see. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post made me laugh. And I have a lot to say.
    a) Sometimes I freak out because we have so few kids toys in our house for the frequently visiting children, but then they happily play with a water bottle all afternoon and I ask myself, "Why were you worried??" Thomas's door stopper affection reminds me of that.
    b) Your beautiful blue and green bowls are to die for. And I'm glad you got rid of that mauve tub. Ack!
    c) The evolution of the metal tub? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When your son is a teenager and wants new video games, please remind him of the door stopper. Anytime I asked for something new, my mom reminded me of my childhood affinity for jars of buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mauve tub!! Mine still sits on my counter. Like MV I'm impressed you put your pump parts away. Seems like mine are always in use or drying so they are FOREVER on the counter and I hate it! We don't have counter space to spare!

    So glad someone else is fighting the kid clutter too. I don't win every day, but I'm fighting the good fight.

    And finally, I had to laugh at your comment on my blog, whoever thought we'd be able to recognize a pump on sight? I am renting the symphony because I had to start pumping in the hospital. It's bulky but it's fast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree! Why do babies need toys? Joseph would so much rather bang on pots and pans in the kitchen and try to unscrew the radiator valves than play with a stuffed animal. Consequently, I never buy toys. We get plenty from relatives and I keep those in an open wicker basket.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to find a spot in one of my cupboards for a brown fabric bin of my own. Right now, the only "feeding stuff" we've got is 2 bottles, a bottle brush, and pump parts since I nurse most of the time .. but we'll be starting into solids soon and I can just see the cups and spoons and bowls taking over everything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you've found great solutions. And maybe with the open storage bin Thomas will learn to put his own toys away sooner. Oh, and I love that you have strong opinions. I tend to speak my mind often.

    oh, and the lobster hunt is on. My sister is moving back to Denver, do you think we could lobster hunt in CO?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, this posts reminds me of myself! I want to implement those exact same rules when I start a family! I understand that having a baby brings along stuff - but it can easily get out of control (especially if you have a small space to work with). Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your new basket as a solution to the mauve tub. I'm pretty sure my mother had that tub in the 80s, which leads me to believe that hospitals bought these in bulk and are still using them from 1984. ;)

    You are such a smart mama. I love that you still have all the toys that Thomas can play and learn and love, but it hasn't turned your house into Toys R Us. Very cool.

    (I also love the mixing-type bowls in blue and green in your cupboards. I think I need to scope some out for us. ;))

    ReplyDelete