Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dare to DIY: Deck the Halls

A day late and a dollar short, that's my motto these days. Well, not the dollar part - we're doing really well with our budget right now. But the day late part. Meaning, I was supposed to post my Christmas decor yesterday for Kim's challenge, but alas, I'm me and here we are at Tuesday.

Not much changed this year from last year, but let's take a little tour of our Christmas decor, shall we?

In terms of DIY, you've already seen my kitchen table centerpiece:

I guess you can call this "DIY", though that would be a stretch. Last year Thomas received a Story of Christmas Advent Calendar. Especially now that we're raising an impressionable young mind, I make a huge effort to talk about what Christmas is really about, and this advent calendar is a great way to do that. Every night, we read a little excerpt of the story of the journey to Bethlehem and Jesus's birth and then hang the mini ornament on the Advent tree.

My upholstery webbing turned card holder - we're clustering everything toward the top this year due to curious hands. I have yet to mail my Christmas cards. It's on my list for today.

We moved our tree to the office/playroom this year to make for more useful space in the family room. 

And our Christmas Mantle - Eighteen 25 subway art, stockings, candles and garland. I love simple but pretty mantles.
 Which of these things does not belong? We'll all have matching stockings someday, but I'm waiting for our family to be complete-ish before I invest a lot of time or money into new stockings. So mis-matched we'll be for years to come.

 And, of course, a little Christmas at the dining room table, too.

That's our decor this year - we went even simpler outside....I'll get a picture soon. Go check out all the real DIY projects at Newlywoodwards.

10 comments:

  1. All this stuff is so lovely! We have tree, stockings, Advent calendar, and holiday card display... and that's it. Well, we put up some outdoor lights, too. But all your adorable stuff is making me want to be crafty! Maybe next year.

    (Love seeing our holiday card on your display!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your Christmas stuff and can totally relate to always being a day late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks great! I love the advent books. What a neat tradition! I also have the same subway art in the kitchen. It's so fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that little advent calendar! While I like my DIY activity based one that I'm rocking this year, I think next year I might add one like yours. Can't have too many Christmas countdowns, I always say. ( I never say that) Your decorations look really cute & kiddo friendly! I'm struggling to replace the breakable stuff with things he can play with...and stuff that doens't look cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ur husbands name is baind?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ornaments on the dining room table - cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous - Thanks for the creepy reminder to blur out his name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome. I just notice things like that. Not trying to be creepy. That's a cool name.

    ReplyDelete