The next day, I wrote this lengthy blog post about why I didn't like the move. Aside from a few tears on the field during his college career, I had no issue with Tebow personally...I just didn't think we needed another expensive quarterback and that Tebs wasn't the man for the job in Denver if we did.
Mr. B jumped on the Tebow bandwagon after watching some documentary that followed him from the Sugar Bowl to the NFL draft during the summer before the 2010 season. As a person, I've always liked him, and the more he talks, the more I like him. He forms coherent sentences when he's talking to the press. I've yet to hear about a Tebow arrest for a DUI, alleged rape, or brandishing a weapon in a bar. He gives his teammates credit for every win. He thanks God for his talents. He's an all-around good-guy. He alienates some people with his religious fervor, but I personally am thrilled that there's someone in the NFL who won't hide who he is just because it's not popular. And as the mom of a son who already loves football? Tim Tebow, you're welcome in Denver forever.
But I wasn't skeptical of his character, I was skeptical of how he'd transition to the NFL as a quarterback. I'm the first to admit I thought he was a terrible choice for quarterback in Denver. I held out with my skepticism - of him as a quarterback - until he was was our starter this season - replacing poor Kyle Orton mid-season. And then? His stats as a starter didn't lie. He's left me with absolutely no fingernails by the end of each game, but his 4th quarter comebacks were exciting to watch.
Tom Tebow before yesterday's game
And then Tebs - and the Broncos - had three terrible weeks to end the season. Like, it was embarrassing to watch terrible. But the Broncos somehow creeped into the playoffs for the first time since the 2005 season - with a home game - against not all-around good-guy Ben Roethlisberger and his Pittsburgh Steelers. And in true Broncos fashion, we pulled it out in overtime. This is crazy, but this is fun!





We are huge Broncos fans too (I actually went to UF while Tebow was quarterback there and the hubs is from Colorado Springs) Last night's game drove me crazy! I couldn't believe it when the Steelers caught up and we ended it in over time. I shouldn't be surprised, though - it seems to be our M.O.
ReplyDeleteWe are Buffalo fans (and frustratingly so always), so not only do we find joy that the Steelers are out, but we are all coming around to Tebow land. I personally thought he is a class act and I agree, paying the respects around and above him is really classy and I too worry how it will effect him being pro for awhile, but I think as long as he stays in Denver and has a coach that supports his efforts and persona,, well its all good.
ReplyDeleteTom and I are huge Tebow fans. Tom's boss is a family friend and has nothing but amazing things to say about him. The reason we are such huge fans? The way Tebow treats the boss' disabled daughter. You could not find a nicer man.
ReplyDeleteAs one of your readers who freaked out and bashed you when your original Tebow post came out, I am THRILLED to see you have come around! We are FL Gators and couldn't be happier watching Tebow succeed in Denver. Screw all of the announcers and writers that give him a hard time every week about not being a good enough NFL QB. He is a breath of fresh air!
ReplyDeleteWhile I am still not a huge fan of the extent of his public statements about his religious beliefs, and even less so of his Focus on the Family ad appearance, I like the way he plays. This season and particularly this playoff game certainly showed that Tim Tebow can be a legitimate NFL quarterback. And that's especially satisfactory against a team that celebrates players with seriously flawed moral character like Ben Roethlisberger and James Harrison.
ReplyDeleteThat was quite a game last night. Ryan was talking about it all the way until his head hit the pillow.
ReplyDeleteIs it wierd that I have a soft spot in my heart for Orton? Like, I kind of love him.
But, I have no true problem with Tebow or the Broncos. And at least they made the playoffs. The Bears couldn't even manage that.
I watched the game last night and I hate the Pittsburgh Steelers so we were rooting for Denver.
ReplyDeleteBut I am a hard core New England Patriots fan. I'm actually going to the game on Saturday. Good luck! It should be a good game.
So, I don't actually "get" most of that football talk...however that is a cute photo of T.
ReplyDelete