My friend Kim is doing her Dare to DIY series again this year, and while our Christmas seasons get busier and busier, I try to participate when I can. I'm making only one gift this year for my cousins' families and our neighbors, but I can't share that on the blog just yet. So, here's a little DIY gift our neighbors dropped by our house on Friday night.
Our sweet neighbors showed up with two glasses of wine and an Activity Advent Calendar they put together for each family on our block. And it's darling. They stayed and chatted for a few minutes and then continued down the block to the next neighbors house to deliver wine and an Advent Calendar...we figure they made six stops that night. We have the best neighbors and neighborhood ever.
While I didn't do this myself, I thought it was too awesome not to share.
I've loved the idea of a Activity Advent calendar, but I just have never gotten my act together enough to make one. So it helps that my neighbors have their acts together. And what a fun idea for a gift for neighbors or extended family - it's an act of time and love to put it together, but doesn't cost a ton of money. And the wine for the parents doesn't hurt either. Our neighbor put together 25 small red envelopes, punched out the circles and put 25 mini clothespins and a long strand of ribbon in each bag. And inside each envelope was a cute little tag for the activities we were doing.
We love the gift and we love our neighbors. Every time I start to think we could use more living space, I'm reminded of why we'll never actually want to move. B and I joked as we opened Day 1 that it would have been awesome if they'd put totally extravagant activities in each little envelope, like "Make 4 dozen cookies for your neighbors two doors down" or "Take your children on a three day snowboarding extravaganza". But our neighbors are much nicer than we are :). I'm saving the envelopes and the activities so that I can just reuse this next year. Because we've already established I won't get my act together to make a new one with new activities.
Link up with Kim and see what DIY gifts others are giving this year.






Wow! You have awesome neighbors. I too have always wanted to do some sort of Advent countdown but also have not gotten around to it. Too bad no neighbors have stepped up around here. :o)
ReplyDeleteI've wanted to do this too, but also don't have my act together. Also, our December is so busy, I feel like they would have to be like one minute activities in order to make sure we did them all, ha!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cute concept! I' m gonna try it for next year! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLinking back from dare to dit
Great neighbors! Ha--my first thought was, "but what if they put crazy elaborate activities in there?!" too.
ReplyDeleteYou have the best neighbors!!! I want to move into your neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great gift idea and perfect for families. I've always thought these were fun, so I'm excited to see another version.
Thanks for linking up to Dare to DIY. You are such an encouragement to me.
That's awesome! I wish I had neighbors like that! I hope you and your family enjoy all your activities together! I'm sure it will be a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect! We all need neighbors like yours! Thanks for joining the Dare to DIY!
ReplyDeleteYour neighborhood is so kick butt!!
ReplyDeleteWow... I'm not sure which I think is cooler, the incredible idea for an advent calendar or your awesome neighbors! You are completely blessed by both. We have an advent calendar and it get's pricey to fill it with trinkets and my kiddos don't need more candy. I think next year I'm filling it with activities. This is so neat! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete