Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Let's Talk About

The most gigantic weed I've ever seen in my entire life:


Sorry about the poor photo quality, I had to stand across the street and pretend to take pictures of our own house, you know, to be stealthy.

That just so happens to be growing over into our yard. Look closely, it's a good, oh, two feet taller than our 6 foot privacy fence. Now, I'm not a picky neighbor - if your grass isn't great, I'm cool with it. You don't bleach your trash can once a week like the HOA requests? Awesome, neither do I. Your dog poops in my yard? I'll probably blame my own dog and pick it up for you. I'm pretty chill - but I do care about the neighborhood looking good.

So, I have two thoughts on this absolutely huge weed:

A) "That is freaking impressive. At the beginning of the spring it was just a little (big) thing - maybe that bottom layer of leaves. The next million layers and that huge spire at the top are growth all since April. That's one fasting growing sucker. I wonder why our new construction shrubs planted in builder-grade soil aren't doing that well."

B) "Ew. That is super disgusting, and growing into our yard and dropping seeds. And making me cranky."

So, which thought should I run with? I'm not the type of person to go next door and ask them to take care of it - that would be much too easy, direct, and mature. I'm more the type to spray some Round-Up at 3am and watch as it slowly wilts away. But Mr. B doesn't think that's a good neighborly thing to do. So, what would you do if the next "World's Largest..." roadside monument was growing in your yard?

1 comment:

  1. O. M. G. That is outta control!! Your poor shrubs probably aren't growing b/c that weed is sucking all the moisture and nutrients within a 5 block radius!!

    G would vote for Round-Up at 3am, hands down. And I would weakly protest--just enough to say I protested when he's re-telling the story to friends, but not enough to actually prevent him from doing it.

    There was about an 18" weed/mutant-tree-in-the-making growing in our neighbor's yard in our old neighborhood. G went over in the middle of the night and pulled it. And I LMAO. You can do it Emily!! (PS--take pictures!)

    ReplyDelete