Pin It button on image hover

Monday, August 25, 2008

And where would you like me to put my wine?

Wine storage is a big issue in our little house, because, well, honestly: I drink a lot of it. Currently we have a wine rack sitting on a corner of our counter, and it's a classy wine rack, but I don't like things on my countertops. While it's not ideal, it works, and we definitely don't need to change it. But let's pretend, just for a moment that my life depended on finding a different storage option.

When B and I first bought our house, we fell in love with this table at Crate and Barrel. We still love it, and it might be an option for our kitchen table, but I'm not sure about a counter height dining table with counter height counters (imagine that!). Also, what happens when you have kids (a ways off, but worth thinking about). Do high chairs pull up to counter height tables? Hmmm....


Then there's the classic wine tower, which I like because it also provides storage for wine glasses, freeing up my valuable cupboard space. But does having a piece of furniture that's soul purpose is to hold my wine and keep it ever ready for me to indulge in give the impression that I need to enter a twelve step program?


Ballard Designs offers a host of different options. I am personally drawn to their buffet/wine racks because it could work as a console table for behind our couch and offer a little separation from our dining room and living room (although the back of the couch is a charming view, a console table will be bought soon, and maybe it could be multi-purpose).


I like this one because it's less expensive, smaller in dimension and has more open shelving, giving the impression that it's a less heavy piece of furniture to play off of our solid wood table:
And Cottage Living has the real answer, but only for when we buy our next house in, oh, five or more years. I love this built in wine rack (and the beautiful white kitchen).

So aside from the more economical option to keep the wine on the countertop, which storage method do you like? Or, what's your personal wine storage philosophy (aside from drinking it before you have to store it)? Do tell, we love our wine over here at the imperfect house.

8 comments:

  1. My favorite place of wine storage is in my stomach, but I digress =)

    I'm one of those who drinks it too fast to ever need a wine rack but I've always loved this Ikea (eek!) wall rack. Let's face it, I'd probably only use 1 slot out of the 4 offered by this thing.

    But I do love the idea of a mutlifunctional sideboard piece w/ the built in wine storage! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D'oh, I must be drunk already.
    Link:

    http://static.flickr.com/38/87695323_45dcd4834b_b.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder I like you! I love wine, you love wine. Enough said!
    We too have the classy wine rack on the counter that I would love to get rid of. We have considered buying a large shelving unit for a nook we have off of our living room and would then put the wine and wine glasses in that. If you are going to purchase the table, why not use it for wine storage? We are also in debate on whether we should get a counter height table. The whole kiddos in our future thing makes me think no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from the "drink it before you need to store it" school of thought, but if I wasn't--I'd go with the console idea. I love that it fulfills a dual purpose--wine storage, and console table hiding the back of the couch.

    And re: the counter height table--I'm all about them. The table in our eat-in kitchen is counter height and I love it. I can't imagne it being lower.

    Truth be told--I don't think you could go wrong with any of these choices, girl! I really like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh and about the kiddo/counter height thing--I don't think it will be that big of a deal b/c kids sit in their high chairs and eat off their high chair tray. There's no reason the tray needs to be at the table height IMO. They won't sit up at the table until their bigger and even then they're strapped in, just like a regular table. So as far as I can tell (and disclaimer: I'm no mother) it would be fine.

    ReplyDelete