Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Welcome to the Big Top

Before I begin I'd like to apologize to my future children, who will never sleep in cute, striped nurseries. Sorry kids. If we still live in this house when you're around, I'll let you sleep in the bathroom occasionally.

I started painting our guest bathroom in preparation for family members that would be staying at our house during our wedding. I decided on stripes because I love them, wanted to challenge myself, and because D over at All Things G&D made it look easy. Because vertical stripes are more slimming than horizontal, and I can use all the slim I can get in my life, I went for vertical. I painted the stripes with G&D's fantastic instructions, but, because I'm me and I was the one wielding the brush, it's not perfect. I panicked at first because as I pulled the tape off I thought the walls looked like a subdued circus tent. But luckily I'm over that now.


I did the three main walls in the first day, but lost my steam with just the small wall above the door to paint. When I learned that the guests staying at our house would be Mr. B's fraternity brothers, I figured they didn't need a completed guest bathroom. So I just stopped. Just like that. Try it sometime, it's rather invigorating.

But tonight I decided I'd bite the bullet and finish the bathroom.
Now let's talk about the towels - they're a little bland in the now khaki and white bathroom. The shower curtain is staying - it was a thoughtful gift, and I love flip flops - owned 54 pairs at one time in my life. So it's the element of fun in this bathroom. But I'm off track again, imgaine that. What should I do about the towels? Color? White? I don't like these - they're too yellow-khaki whereas the stripes are green-khaki. Not a good combo. Please advise :).

I was in the stalled part of my stripe project (commonly known around our house as I was too lazy to paint the last wall in stripes) when I came across Nestie EastCoastGirl*'s guest bathroom. "OMG - this is what I'm going for, only mine will look worse." So, I yanked her artwork idea - me and Mr. B as babies in bathtubs. The top is Mr. B as a toddler in the bathtub, and the one below it is me in the tub. If you look closely, you'll notice I'm wearing my clothes in the tub. I was a rule breaker even then.

3 comments:

  1. I love the stripes! LOL at "they're slimming". I've always envied peeps who just go for it and paint stripes.

    I think crisp white towels and a plush white bath mat would look fabulous! Kind of a spa feel and it won't compete w/ the stripes. Also, it would complement those white frames. Can your baby pics possibly BE any more adorable? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks AWESOME. I would never have the patience to do all that... mine would come out all wobbley because I didn't measure right or something. Nice work!
    I agree with the white idea. OR you could go really nuts and try a vibrant green

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we still live in this house when you're around, I'll let you sleep in the bathroom occasionally. <--this made me lol!

    So happy to hear you found my instructions helpful! Your stripes look great!! And I think white towels would look perfect. And love the baby pic idea--so cute!!

    ReplyDelete