Pin It button on image hover

Friday, December 5, 2008

Boring Personal Update

I promise I won't dwell on personal updates, I know that my life is not that interesting. But, you all have been so supportive, so I needed to give you a quick scoop. I'll summarize quickly for you at the end, so feel free to skip to the bottom or skip all together if you don't care.

I started a new job on Thursday. Yay! I am so lucky to have found a job so quickly in this market, and I'm excited about the responsibilities I am taking on in this new position. Starting a new job is always hard - there's a lot of anxiety involved for me in meeting new people that I'll work with everyday - but so far, so great.

That said, I've shed a lot of tears and downed more bottles of wine over the last three weeks. My liver got a break when I had the flu, my tear ducts did not - I'm a terrible sick person. I had a sweet reader email me the other day to tell me that she's in a similar job situation with a recent lay-off (you know who you are - you should definitely start a blog, I will be an avid reader!), and I wrote back to her with my job lay-offs theory:

I feel like I've been through a bad break-up - you know, where the broken up with person just waits with cell phone in hand, hoping for a "how are you doing?" phone call and a glimmer of hope, but refuses to pick up the phone to call and give the impression that they're not thriving and moving on graciously and quickly? Yeah, loser party of one over here. I made some good friends at my old job, and a few of them were kept on after the lay-offs, but they haven't reached out to me in the way I kind of expected them to. I'm definitely ready to move on with this new position, I'm not mourning my old job, just the people.

B's been confused by the emotions that came out of this, I think, but absolutely so supportive and wanting only what's best for me. Your comments and support have meant so much to me, too I'm spending the weekend getting some posts ready for the week since I don't have as much free time on my hands now, and there will be home office after pictures!

Summing it up:
1) New job, HOORAY!
2) Bad break-up blahs, but I'm doing ok.
3) Thank goodness for wine. and supportive husbands.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations Emily! That's great news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not boring, you included a new job, drama and wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! So glad to hear things are going well in some ways. I hope you are feeling better and I hope you meet new, genuine friends at the new job! Good luck sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your new job, I'm sorry that things have been so difficult. Yeah for supportive husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That definitely deserves a big "holler"! Congrats on finding something else so quickly (and something that sounds so great). That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go! I am sure that you will do wonderfully at your new job.
    I can't wait to see the new office pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new job!! It's definatly a blessing to be married to such amazing men, girls we are very lucky!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Em!! I love reading your personal updates. I'm so impressed that you landed a new job so quickly (and that you're hopefully over your cold/bug). And emotions, schmotions. You're completely entitled to them!

    If you need more wine, I have some fresh from my recent liquor store run =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Emily on finding a new job so quickly. Time heals all "break - ups" and yours will heal soon too. Good luck and enjoy the wine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Less time for blogging??! boo...

    and it really stinks that your old work friends haven't checked on you yet...maybe they feel guilty that they were kept on?

    i knew you would find something quickly - congrats on the new job girl - you will do fantastic - I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i heard about the new job from Jan. I'm so glad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Em!! I'm so happy for you!!!! Congrats on the new job!! And BOO on those former co-workers. If I had a chance to know you IRL I'd never let you go, girl! I'm so happy that things are turning around. GL in the new job!

    ReplyDelete