Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Home for the Holidays

Did anyone watch HGTV's "Home for the Holidays" special on Sunday night? Well, I did. And I thought it was redic.

I was shocked by how much clutter the designers had in their homes. Especially Angelo Surmelis. His house was so over the top, and everywhere he turned he had to walk around a knick-knack. It made me shiver. Or maybe that was the fever I was fighting. I can't put my finger on the cause. Here's the best picture I could find of his house, just picture mini Christmas trees with fabric remnants tied to them filling any open floor space you see in this picture and you'll get an idea of what his house looked like for the special:


Then, Lisa LaPorta decided to "surprise" her mom by bringing snow and 10,000 lights to her California yard. Now, I'm pretty sure this had to be filmed this summer or at least early fall. Can you imagine if you came home to your house looking like this on August 14th?
Monica Pedersen started every segment after the commercial break repeating a story about growing up making gingerbread houses and how she was going to recreate the Inn her husband's family owns in all its gingerbread glory:
Basically, I wasn't inspired. HGTV needs to tone down the VH1 wannabe specials and stick to renovation and home improvement shows. What did you all think? Was the show a waste of time or was I being overly critical?

9 comments:

  1. I actually enjoyed it. I love to see how the people I watch live and hearing little tidbit of their lives, but I'm nosy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek! I didn't see the show, but from the sounds of it, I wouldn't have been a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the most part I enjoyed it. I didn'see the Angelo Surmelis portion though. I loved Vern's house. I thought that the ginger breadhouse was a little over the top. Monica did get on my nerves a bit. I liked Lisa's surpise, but wondered when they would have taped it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't see it (as I don't have cable). But, I'm afraid you may cringe at my Christmas obsession. I may cause you to shiver again.

    (Sigh), I cannot help it. I love Christmas trees. I'm not a fan of knick knacks, but getting married at Christmastime gave me way too much Christmasy goodness to work with. I have 10 trees up in my house (only 4 are full size, though, in my defense).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't like it either - fabric strips tied on trees. They looked tacky. I fell asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually saw the show and thought it was not bad. I actually liked Angelo's house and thought that Lisa's episode was sweet. Oh well. Angelo actually has a blog and he talks about the episode as well as other stuff. Happy Holidays-Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deanna - I am definitely not an authority, here :). I'm glad to hear that a lot of you enjoyed it - I must have been expecting something else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't see it but from what you describe they could have been more pratical about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the show and thought it was fine, not the best Holiday show but enjoyable. There were some HGTV personalities that I felt were just not that great (but I will keep that to myself and not take cheap shots at people). I thought that Angelo was really nice & for me, his house was beautiful, His kitchen remodel was really great. Vern's house was also nice and I felt that Lisa and her Mom were really sweet. I've read angelo's blog, design geek, and he seems really nice. I wish the special was more concentrated on just a few of their celebrities so it didn't feel so rushed. Have a wonderful Holiday all! Susan

    ReplyDelete