Last night, after returning home from a tech meetup in Boulder, I flopped down on the couch next to Casco and opened the computer. Mr. B was at an indoor soccer game.

And all of a sudden the power cord for my little white MacBook started sparking, smoking, and then burst into tiny tea light candle sized flames. I was terrified. Casco slept through the whole thing. And we thought he would be a good guard dog.

Pictures of exactly what happened to my computer courtesy of brnzwngs on Flickr becuase I was too annoyed to take pictures. Evidently this is a common problem.
The fire didn't last long, but the power cord and battery are fried (ha, literally). So blog world, I don't know how we're going to keep in touch until we (and by we I mean Apple...you better come through company notorious for having battery issues) resolve this issue. Mr. B's archaic desktop is slow and the mouse doesn't work.
Maybe I'll use the blogless time to work with Casco on how to respond to fire. Yeah, that's what we'll do.




So you're going to take it to the Apple store? I'm sure they'll give you a new power cord. I want to make sure to see a follow-up post on what the outcome is. You know they say that Mac's are really hot these days. HA!
ReplyDeleteThe same thing happened to my macbook, unfortunately mine was no longer under warranty. I looked it up and it's a pretty common occurrence. I ended up having to buy a new one.
ReplyDeleteOH NO!! This happens a lot? I had no idea. I better watch out!
ReplyDeleteBoo! I'm so sorry!
ReplyDeleteGirl Scouts totally would not have helped. I stayed in until middle school, and only learned to sew on buttons, use sign language to "sing" Bette Midler's The Wind Beneath My Wings, and eat 25 of those stupid delicious little thin mint cookies in one sitting.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the computer...
My husband says he thinks they did a full recall and that they should be able to just replace it all for you. If they tell you no the first time, I've learned it's best to ask again. And again. It's such a small item for them, so they should replace it.
ReplyDeleteHope it gets fixed soon. Until then, I'll miss you! And I'll totally "borrow" your camera and learn everything and then give it back. Sounds like a deal to me!
ReplyDeleteTake it to the apple store. I had the same problem with mine, the cord was shorting and they replaced it ON THE SPOT. Apple loves their customers, head on in, they will help
ReplyDelete**panicking and wringing hands b/c I don't know what I'll do if you don't comment on my posts**
ReplyDeleteAwww that sucks, Em! Hope it gets fixed soon. If it makes you feel any better our Dell battery pack has been known to cause house fires or so says consumer reports. Sweet.
Yikes...that is not good.
ReplyDelete