Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Let There Be Light

I grew up in Denver in a great Cape Cod style house with dormer windows. I think it's the perfect house - the house I will always compare any of our future home purchases to. I love everything about it - the architecture, the color, the big bedrooms, the huge front and back yards, my mom's eye for decorating.

But at the beginning of February, I mentioned to my mom that I thought her chandelier was a little small for the dining room. She had been talked into replacing an old-fashioned pendant light with a chandelier a couple years ago by a friend - found an inexpensive one to see how she liked it, and hired an electrician to put it up.


She agreed with me that the light was too small - and admitted that she'd never loved it. She wanted classic lines - nothing fancy and curly que-esque, but she wanted to keep the fabric shade look. So we started our search for the perfect chandelier for the dining room. Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel, Lowes, Home Depot - nothing fit her criteria. Until I happened to check out the Canopy line and found the perfect chandelier. And for hundreds less than the Pottery Barn lights she was considering.



Mr. B hung it for her on Saturday - solidifying his spot as her favorite McKevitt. Which is fine, because I came to terms with the fact that my family would probably choose B over me a long time ago.


What do you think? Isn't it a huge improvement?

8 comments:

  1. I really like it, it's such an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an improvement! It's classic, the perfect scale, and I love it.

    Obviously the apple doesn't fall from the tree--your mom's house is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do I LOVE that home? And, that wainscotting? My heartbeats are getting faster.

    Love the light. It's lovely! And, what a steal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the change! Very chic and sophisticated - exactly the way Cape Cod style should be!

    (And ditto on the hubs being loved more than the born-from-the-womb daughter. It's criminal.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great! I've been eyeing that one myself to replace the fan (!!) in our dining room. Nice to see it in it's natural habitat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful choice! Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete