Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

DIY Chalkboard Cache Pots

I've been enjoying Colorado's unseasonably warm March weather these last couple weeks. On Sunday I took advantage of the day and watered the yard, trees and shrubs, and enjoyed Margaritas on the cleaned up back patio with my BFF Emily. One of my neighbors came to the door during Happy Hour and while B was calling me to the front porch, he mentioned that we were having Margaritas and enjoying the warm weather. Our neighbor replied: "Margaritas at 2:30 in the afternoon?!" Oh, the rumor mill will be flying on our street this week!

But, (shockingly) I digress. While cleaning up the patio I found last year's DIY project based on an idea straight out of the Pottery Barn catalog.


Last March while shopping for my St. Patrick's Day seed starting tradition, I picked up a couple of cheapo terracotta pots, a quart of chalkboard paint ($8 at the hardware store) and went to town with a foam brush and a couple coats. I made three regular sized pots for less than $11, with almost an entire quart of chalkboard paint leftover for something else.



Last year I only used one pot and it sat on our patio table and housed mint so it wouldn't take over the garden, but this year I'm thinking that bringing my favorite cooking herbs (basil, rosemary and mint) into the kitchen would be fabulous. I think they'd look so cute spread out among the IKEA lack shelves I'm coveting right now.

What do you think? Do you have a kitchen herb garden? Does anyone need chalkboard paint? Want to come over for Margs next Sunday around noon? If I'm going to have a reputation, I might as well enjoy it.

17 comments:

  1. I'll be there on Sunday for more drinks! love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ton of chalkboard paint that is looking for a project - this might be it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh margaritas - so yummy! Love the pots - my only wish is for a kitchen BIG enough to have some herbs in like that....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just grateful that someone invented mimosas & bloody Marys so that I can have an excuse to drink b/f noon, so you're a girl after my own heart.

    I lurve this idea!! I have all these terra cotta pots in the garage that just might get this makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved the look of chalkboard paint, but I absolutely CANNOT stand touching chalk, so it might not work for me--totally still in for the margaritas though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kitchen isn't big enough but I love those pots! I need them! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also saw that idea and have been holding on to it for awhile for my kitchen window. I'm glad to see how great your pots look, it makes me more excited to try it out. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are adorable, and they would look DIVINE on those shelves. You have the perfect spot for them.

    I may need to try out some chalkboard paint somewhere.... you are always full on inspiration.

    PS - I'm leaving now... I should be at your place in time for margaritas this week. On the rock, please. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo black board paint!?! I wish I had something to paint. Oh wait- I do! Maybe, like, or whole apartment?!? I love the idea of black board paint.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Margaritas? Count me in! I have never been brave enough to try to grow my own herbs - I usually kill everything I plant. It's embarassing really.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have always wanted an indoor herb garden. I think that it would be so much fun to "harvest" the herbs as you need them for your cooking. As for your margarita habit, I am insanely jealous that a) you can still have margaritas and b) it is nice enough there to enjoy them outside. That's it, we are moving to CO.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea!!
    I have rosemary and parsley on my kitchen windowsill. They periodically plot to take over the entire kitchen, so I have to concoct something with rosemary and parsley to keep them tame. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. also... you should escape your crazy cold weather and visit ME in "ol' Virginie". Margaritas are way more fun in warm weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. After this post I've decided to paint one wall in every room of my house with chalkboard paint. I then intend to write "wall" on each one just to be ironical. In all seriousness though, this is a great idea especially if you suffer from early onset alzheimer's like I do.

    Emily, I'm still waiting for some of your famous pesto pasta. I mean come on already.

    P.S. I actually really like this idea. Do they make chalkboard paint in various colors? Dark blue would be kinda neat do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...margaritas--one more thing I'm looking forward to this summer! I've been wanting to do an herb garden, but have never gotten around to it. Those pots are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing that. I've been thinking about making some pots like that. But I wasn't sure if it would really work. Still its gotta be better than leaving the herbs to sit on the kitchen windowsill in the nasty orange plastic pots they came in....opps thats what I've been doing for 2 months. :P

    ps- I take my margaritas with a ton of salt. Just an fyi, so you can plan ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a cute idea! May have to borrow it!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete