Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Budget Tricks

Mr. B and I are still loving the envelope system - I don't think we'll ever look back now that we're used to our cash centric budget.

One of the things we cut when we were preparing for me to get laid off last Fall was our Blockbuster version of Netflix. We loved that we could return movies to the store (just around the corner from our house) and pick-up a movie for free while we were returning it, but since moving into our house B and I hadn't done a ton of movie watching anyway, and it was a monthly cost we weren't getting much use out of. Credit

So Emily turned me onto RedBox. $1-one night rentals - so when you're in the mood for a movie, you run to the RedBox, pick it up for about $3 less than any Blockbuster rental, and return it to any location the next day.

And with the RedBox text promo codes, we get a free movie every Monday. September - May we don't use it because we love our Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother Monday nights. But now that the shows are in re-runs, Mondays are movie nights.

So with the exception of the occasional weekend rental for $1, we get a movie a week for free. Do you RedBox? Netflix? How much of a priority is movie entertainment in your budget?

19 comments:

  1. Our Kroger has a box similar to Redbox. It is right by our house...so we occasionally do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate returning movies - even if it is only a dollar. We do Blockbuster online, but don't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am signed up for the free Monay text messages. Movies are not that much of a priority for us, but with RedBox, we do watch a few from time to time. For a while, Monday nights were our movie and sub sandwich nights. In fact, because of the free Monday text message and other promotional codes, I have not had to pay to rent a movie from RedBox yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have red box in Canada unfortunately! But, we swap movies with a lot of friends so we very rarely rent them. Although occasionally there is a new release we're dying to see and we will rent it.

    Also, I'm interested in your envelope system. I've often thought about wanting to do that but I just have no idea where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you put cash in the red box?

    I think that Big Bang is my favorite show on television (besides 30 rock). I missed most of the season this year for some reason- so hopefully I can rent the discs from somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we do blockbuster and love it but we really don't use it much so we've been thinking about getting rid of it.
    I love the envelope system, I may try this! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Monday movie night idea. It's a perfect night for a movie. We're Netflix users & we switch back and forth with who gets to pick a movie. We've actually saved money since switching since we don't use On-Demand anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We totally do redbox rentals. There are all SORTS of free rental codes if you do a little research.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also use the envelope system and love it! As for entertainment...we only have basic cable and we watch a lot of movies so we have Netflix and we do RedBox occassionally. We also go to the movie theater a couple times a month, but we try to only go M-Th when AMC offers $5 tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We use RedBox too and we love it. How do you sign up for the text promo codes? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christel - So I just went to www.redbox.com, you can sign up for the promo codes there. Apparently they've limited it now to the first monday of the month (total bummer!), but like Meredith said, just do a quick search and you can find promo codes all over the googles :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I WOULD like more details about your system but I can't find where you e-mail address is? I tried replying to your comment but it said no-reply.

    My address is
    lucy (dot) maries (dot) life @ gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  13. We LOVE Redbox. It's such a great deal. We don't watch all that many movies (maybe once a month), but when we do, it's Redbox all the way. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was going to post soon about my new found obsession with Red Box. They recently got one in my small town and I am in love! My cheap side is thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love Redbox, too. We really like the fact that we can check what movies are available and decide which we will rent without leaving our home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't tell you the last time I watched a non kid movie. When the kids are actually away I feel like I should be doing one of the 500 things I can't get finished when they are home. Maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We use to RB it but now we've given into Netflix. You know, b/c Mr. FC insists we always need 3 movies at the house at any given time. WHAT?!

    (Hey! You can also go online and reserve your Red Box movie w/ your credit card so that way when you get there, it won't already be taken.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We just started noticing RedBoxes popping up in our town a couple months ago. However, while I think they are a great idea, we're already a two-Netflix subscription household (left over from our non-cohabitating days)...lord, we're even a two-DVR box household!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know this blog is old, but I wanted to read all your 'budget related blogs',, we use Netflix, and we plug our computer into our tv and watch free live streaming movies anytime, plus he gets his annoying old westerns in the mail.

    I'm currently catching up on Greys,,, next will be Big Love.
    Did I mention its included with your netflix subscription.

    ReplyDelete