Pin It button on image hover

Monday, June 8, 2009

Burn Baby Burn

I'm not a huge jewelry wearer - and the pieces I do wear, I wear constantly.  My rings are no exception - they're ever present on my finger and I do the thumb-to-ring-finger ring check several times a day.  I do everything in my rings - run, shower, swim, cook, clean.  Or, should I say, I did.

And then, on one fateful February day, I was using an "all-natural" bathroom cleaner.  Some cleaner got under my rings, and as it sat between my rings and skin, it caused a painful chemical burn. After two thorough cleanings by the jeweler and four months of barely wearing my rings, things are on the mend.  My cousin had the same thing happen a couple years ago, and after a
 consult with her, I'm ring free for at least another month until it heals completely.  And now that I know better than to wear my rings 24-7, I've adopted a jewelry system.

I moved my PB monogrammed jewelry box to the bathroom counter between our his and hers sinks. It freed up space on the dresser and is a daily reminder that chemicals, metal and my precious stubby fingers don't mix. Before every shower or cleaning frenzy, the jewelry gets deposited into the box.
And downstairs - by the kitchen sink - I have a ring holder. So when it's time to do a daily scrub of the counters, rinse dishes, or dye fabric, my rings get hooked right onto this stainless ring holder.


Do yourselves a favor and get in the ring removing habit before you tackle the shower tile next time. My finger still throbs when I see a bottle of Method Tub n' Tile cleaner (which smells gross anyway, so I'd say you're safe bet is to skip this product).

12 comments:

  1. Ouch!

    I'm glad you posted this...I was often feeling guilty because I remove my rings quite often. I don't shower or sleep with them on and I try to remember to remove it before doing any kind of work or cleaning. Meanwhile I noticed my husband wears his pretty much 24/7. I never thought about how much damage it could do by keeping them on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I have the same wedding set! I've never seen anyone else wearing it, which surprises me since it's such a beautiful, simple design! Our husbands have good taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a gorgeous set! I need to get in the habit of taking my rings off...I pretty much wear them 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful rings!
    The same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. However, unlike you, I don't learn and I still stubbornly insist on wearing my rings constantly (and therefore periodically have sad ring-free weeks). It freaks me out to not have them on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a bummer. Your rings are gorgeous, I'm sure you are anxious to begin wearing them again.

    PS Did you take the photo of your rings? It's an awesome pic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that. I wear my set 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are those your real rings? Because if so- it looks a lot like mine, but my center stone is princess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have that ring set too!! I was so excited to see someone else with it. Lately I've been leaving my engagement ring off, due to swelling fingers in the NC heat. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always been in the habit of taking my rings off quite often. I take them off at night and put them back on after my shower in the morning. If I clean, I usually remember to take them off and put them on my ring holder in the bathroom. But my problem became swim practice and cleaning beakers in the chem lab -- where do you put the rings when you don't want kids to take them and you can't put them in your pockets... So I got a necklace. Since a few weeks into my first swim season, I have worn a necklace nearly every day, and I transfer my rings to the necklace when I take them off at practice or school.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you happen to remember where this ring holder come from ? Where did you buy it ? I am looking for one just like that !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - It came from the Container Store a few years ago, not sure if they still have them, but here's the link to it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Ringling-Chrome-Ring-Holder-Dish/dp/B00189Y7F6

    ReplyDelete