Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Catching Flies with Vinegar

You all know about my love of vinegar.  I use it to clean my wood floors, to soften my laundry (it also removes extra soap from your clothes when used in the rinse cycle to make laundry soap much more suitable for sensitive skin and keeps your brights bright), to deodorize both the kitchen after disastrous cooking episodes and my front loader washing machine when it starts to get musty, and my mom always turned to good old vinegar to remove chlorine from our hair every summer.   I buy my vinegar in vats at Costco and keep one on each floor, and I think you should, too.


I found this blog post yesterday and had to share other household uses for my favorite substance ever.  Well, after Chardonnay.  I was most impressed by vinegar's ability to act as anti-freeze on cold winter nights for your windshield.  Read on my friends, and learn how you can, in fact, catch flies with vinegar.  Love it.

What's your favorite off-the-wall use for this baby?  Any tried and true secrets? Things you're going to try now that you've read about them? Sound-off!

PS - Sorry friends, I've had a whirlwind of travel in the last couple weeks and have read your blogs but haven't found time to comment just yet.  In fact, this is the first post I've written in weeks - thank goodness for blogger's scheduled post feature.  The comments are coming, I promise.

12 comments:

  1. Is it sad that I don't think I've ever bought a bottle of vinegar? Somehow I've avoided recipes and/or cleaning solutions that called for it. and dying easter eggs too, don't you use vinegar for that as well? Thanks for the link though, you may have made me a convert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all the new uses for vinegar. I guess I tended to stay away from it due to the smell. I'd definitely give it a try with the laundry, figure if it's diluted it won't smell like I dropped in some salad dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use vinegar on sunburn. It takes the sting away and turns the red to a tan faster than using aloe. I recommend using before bed or when you are staying in not before you go out on the town!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Vinegar for Windex- I am not sure the proportions- but it works great- I thikn 2 Cups water, 1 Tbsp cornstartch and 1/6 cup vingear. It is awesome. I will never buy windex again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use vinegar when I pre-wash new fabrics for sewing. It makes their colors stay true and not bleed!

    How was the reunion? I wish we could have gone!! We were planning on it when we lived closer but what a difference one year makes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool!! I was never aware of so many uses for vinegar! I think the only thing I've every used it for was to clean the dishwasher. I just ran a short cycle with vinegar instead of soap and it looks great! I'm going to have to try some of these other suggestions!! Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great link. I like to use it for cleaning. I've not used it as a fabric softener, but I will be soon.

    Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've used it to clean my shower. Works pretty well & I like the smell of vinegar much better than cleaning products!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read about using vinegar on wood floors, but haven't tried it yet. My wood floors are looking terrible though.
    Does it help make them not so dull looking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never knew vinegar had soooo many uses!!! That is crazy. I need to really brush up on my vinegar skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You remind me of the dad from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, with his "windex fixes anything" belief. hehehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use vinegar on my laminate floors. It keeps them from getting dull. I have been trying to figure out where to buy the bottles in bulk. I will have to check out Sam's Club sometime to see if the sell it like Costco does.

    ReplyDelete