Pin It button on image hover

Friday, July 10, 2009

Shutter Speed

What do you all think of shutters as interior decor? I've seen it everywhere lately - including at Pottery Barn.
It seems pretty country to me - I was surprised to see them in the Pottery Barn catalog. And based on the fact that they're already marked down, I'm guessing it surprised Pottery Barn, too. I get that they add texture, and I do love plantation shutters on windows, but I'm just not sure I love it for non-windows. So I'm dying to know, what do you think of it?

13 comments:

  1. Eh. Not a fan. But I don't hate it either, unlike those awful oversized spoons and forks they had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda like it. I wouldn't do it like that picture though- I would try to frame a pretend window or something. That would be cool. In that picture they look like they are just hanging around waiting to be put somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, i'm not a fan either. I think they look silly in that picture and would look even sillier in my house. Now, the giant fork in my kitchen, on the other hand, looks phenomenal! hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree - i don't particularly like the ones in the picture -- but in the right space i think they can look good - Layla at The Lettered Cottage always makes them look good (and of course, they fit with her beachy/cottagey style)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they can look chic cottage-y (like claire said, layla can make them look like magic).

    Just the thought of dusting them pisses me off though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan, either. I do like plantation shutters. I also have a hard time taking my eyes off the huge baseboards in that PB picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am totally with you. I do not like the shutters and I'm not surprised they're not a hit. I guess I'll never understand the whole country rustic decorating trend. Unless your house is actually IN THE COUNTRY. And even then, it's dubious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have shutters as our bedroom door, I hate them. But I agree with you, I like the plantation ones on windows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw something in a magazine once that you can use old shutters as a message board in an entryway (nail them shut and then slip envelopes etc in). I thought that was an interesting idea, but in real life I think it'd look messy.
    In the PB catalog picture you posted I think it looks like random construction materials that are waiting for a project to be completed. Probably not what they were going for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look out of place in the picture, like someone sat them there while they were redoing the windows. I think shutters could work in the right place, but I couldn't dream of taking that much wall space in my 1000 sq foot home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a huge fan, but I have seen a few times where they look great. It would have to be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love shutters. I always have. I think it comes from my hillbilly upbringing. Old shutters were a favorite of my mom's and she'd always find neat things to do with them. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete