Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Up the Down Staircase

Do you know that movie? I've never seen it, but it's my life motto. I'm just an up the down staircase kind of gal.

The thing that I first fell in love with about our house was the staircase. It starts at the back of the house rather than in the foyer and reminds me of older houses with back staircases. It's just charming - and unexpected. I adore our back staircase.

So, when Mr. B mentioned that he was tired of the oak banister - it's the only oak in our house and builder basic oak at that - I agreed with him. Isn't it funny how something can seem fine until it's pointed out, and then it nags at you? And since I wasn't feeling our banister anymore - an integral part of one of my favorite features of our house, I was itching to fix it.

Now, I'm not they type of person to take time to worry about how changing something might turn out. I figured if it looked awful, I could paint the railings white and we'd have an all-white banister. I LOVE painting wood - especially oak. My heart skips a few beats as I watch things go from something that's not me to something I love. I truly dream of the day that Mr. B and I buy a house with oak cabinets with which I can paint white and fall in love. I search the MLS listings for pictures of outdated kitchens so I can photoshop white cabinets, different paint colors, and even layout changes and think about how great a house could be. It's an illness. Really.

So, I grabbed the satin finish white paint we had sitting in the garage and a foam brush and went to town. It took a ton of coats. I probably should have used primer, but we've already discussed my lack of patience.

I wanted a two-toned banister - the more traditional look of white spindles and a wood railing. I love the result. Like, my first love Kyle Chandler of Early Edition in middle school love. And I don't even mind the oak that much because there's less of it. We'll probably end up sanding and staining the railing and posts later on, but for now I like the banister as is. We'll live with it for awhile to see what we think is right.


Casco loves our back staircase, too. It's his favorite place to hang out. Looks comfy, eh?

What do you think of the white spindles? Would you leave the railings as is or stain them a darker walnut shade? Any wood stains you love or hate? I've never stained anything, it's been all paint for this girl, so suggestions are welcome!

21 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'd definitely either paint the whole thing white, or stain the remaining visible wood a deeper color. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love minwax jacobean. very dark almost black stain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it! I would stain the rest darker too. I'm so impressed how you just change things like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would paint the whole thing white, or else stain the rails a much darker color.

    I wish that I shared your love of painting wood! I have a LOT of cabinet painting to do here shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, just to pre-empt future "All white" suggestions - after painstakingly painting each slat and avoiding the railings, this banister will not be going all-white in the foreseeable future. I know, but it was a process with a plan behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the white spindles...definitely breaks up all the wood :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loves it!! That's some patience right there, girl!

    Normally I'd say stain the railing a darker color but looking at the big picture, I think you should leave it as is as it jives beautifully w/ your wood floors. A darker stain might be too much going on contrast-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I love how Casco sits right in the middle of the staircase. Not at the top nor at the bottom but smack dab in the mid. Heh!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great - If you like painting, I'd paint up the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good idea. It looks so polished now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the white spindles. I'd paint the trim at the base of the spindles white too so just the newel post and banister are wood.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I like the contrast between painted and wood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love houses with two sets of stairs. Our (almost) new house has a kitchen that has to be reworked- the lay out, the counters, and the cabinets repainted. If you really love that stuff, you are welcome to come play! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the two tone look! We had a very similar staircase and I painted the railing deep brown and left the spindles white. I thought about staining but the wood was too beat up. I love how it turned out but it was so much work for such a small area. Love your update!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you painted the oak. Very nice update! I love how fresh and clean wood looks when painted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! And I love your lack of guilt with painting. I always have to hem and haw for ages. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ps: Casco is SO CUTE! I just want to kiss his furry face (and then sneeze on him). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how it turned out! So fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the white spindles. Did you tape all around those spindles? I hate painters tape.

    I would go with a darker stain myself... I'm slowly but surely trying to get rid off all the oak in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it looks awesome. Love the white, but then again, I used to live in a house that had the oak railing and white spindles. Seems strange when I think about it now, but our bottom step was wood as well and I really lurved it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Em, it turned out beautifully!! I love the two-toned contast. So pretty!

    And love the pic of Casco sitting on the stairs. What a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete