Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Choose Your Own Adventure, Imperfect Style

So, as we discussed yesterday, if I don't love something, I change it. And I've been toying with the idea of changing our IKEA coffee table. It's pretty much the only thing I bought for our house before moving in - because everything else was handed down to us or came with us from our previous living arrangements.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the hand-me-down furniture was the best because it has allowed us time to develop our own style. If I'd gone out and bought furniture, our imperfect cottage would be decked out in microsuade furniture, dark reds and browns - which are all lovely, but not so much what I've turned out to love for my own house. But back to the coffee table: like all things wood - I'm itching to paint it and get rid of the knotty pine look.

So, my darling readers, I'm leaving it up to you. You have three choices:









I have my choice, but let's see what you think. This is sort of like blogger American Idol, the phone lines are open, sound off.

53 comments:

  1. We have that same coffee table! I think it was the biggest mistake we ever made ... only because we live in a basement, with a dog, on a farm and so all those little compartments collect dust like nobody's business. But, we could not have forseen these arrangements when we purchased it. I still love the look of it. I say leave it be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote paint it black or leave it as is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i usually would say white - but the black looks really good - a nice contrast.
    i agree with you about not knowing your style at first. a lot of stuff that we had to buy, that we had no handmedowns for, i don't really like now and want to replace. i'm slowly phasing out the red for more neutral colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great the way it is...BUT if you have to change it do black

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm- I kinda liked the white one. but I seem to be the only one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote black too, it ties in nicely withthe fireplace and mirror...assuming those are black too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the white - you'd be playing off of your fireplace mantle. And who doesn't love some crisp white in a room...

    But my vote is going to have to go black since that is what your side table is (and most other accessories I see - frames, window rods, light fixture, console table). I think it would nicely tie the space together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you should leave it as is. I fully understand the need to make a change .. but I think it's lovely in its original wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i say paint it white. it will pick up the trim and picture frames.

    unrelated: have you thought about removing the back cushion of the big green chair, and putting a couple of big pillows in a different color? I think it wouild freshen it up a little bit

    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the black because it echos your mirror, but I like the white the best! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. black to accent your fireplace wall items

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd paint it black or leave it as it is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I say paint it black. It ties in so nicely with the items on your fireplace mantel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funny, at first I thought leave it as is, but then I realized it's the same coffee table I have and I am dying to paint mine! Unfortunately, it belongs to my roommate, so I have to keep my hands (and paintbrush) off it, but I think you should paint yours black.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My choice is always clean and white, and this is no exception. Paint it white!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, I'm kind of partial to the black but the white would definitely work too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. black. and be sure to use a stain killing primer on the knot holes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I vote black but I always love to paint things black so maybe that is influencing my choice. I think white would also look good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Black looks great and would tie in nicely with the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Option 3! LOVE your living room, by the way. It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Option 3! LOVE your living room, by the way. It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think a designer once said every room should have at least 1 piece of black furniture to "anchor" the space. And I totally agree in your case, so black!

    Though I HATE dusting and black shows ever particle, ugh.

    I know, I'm totally a huge help. You're welcome. =]

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like white, but you can always do white and if you dont like it go for the black.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the black. It brings out all the other black elements that you have in the room like the black frame you have over the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like the black, but have you thought about green? I know you love it. ;)What is in the frame on the left side of the mirror? Is it Casco?

    ReplyDelete
  26. paint it black! but you'll see dust and casco hair more on the black :(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I vote - leave it natural - but paint the baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I agree with painting it black. It makes the mirror over the fireplace pop and grounds the space.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Black or as-is. I love the white...but the black really makes the mirror pop which draws your eye up...I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I vote black, it brings out your mirror and fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Of the choices I say black. However have you ever heard of polyshade. It is the best thing ever. I have used it on kitchen cabinets, end tables, night stands and most recently my front door. I use bombay mahogany but there are many to choose from. It is more durable than paint and black is a color choice, it is by minwax. I have never sanded anything down, wipe, apply 2 or 3 coats and your done.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love it in white!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it in white!

    ReplyDelete
  34. White would soooo not look good. It would be way to stark with all your other decor. It is not too bad as is but I think it would look better in black out of all those chooses BUT i'm going to say painting it the green color in those pillows would look HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sleek and black! I think in the black it anchors the room without drawing too much attention. It makes me look more at the comfy chairs and pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My vote is for black.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I thought for sure I'd like white best in your house, but I actually prefer the black.

    ReplyDelete
  38. If the mirror and frames on the fireplace are black and the side table is black, paint it black. I really like the darker color. It looks rich.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fun! I love voting for things. I vote for black or living it as woman!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'd say black... My first reaction was white (cuz who doesn't like white wood furniture!), but I think the black will tie in better with your existing tables and would therefore be more cohesive. If you are really into the white then I'd spray paint/stain/change out the baskets a darker colour to link in with the other tables.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Black. And we have the exact same coffee table, which I don't exactly like.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I think the black would look great - white might be too hard to keep completely pristine clean. Love the poll!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love the black!!! It pulls together the curtain rod hardware and all of the other items in the room. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Black grounds the room and ties into your fireplace.

    I LOVE this room!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  45. I like it black. Makes more of a statement...though an antiqued white might look good. I think the starkness of the painted version threw me off!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm going to vote for white. Or maybe even a warmer, off-white. You could even "antique" the edges a little bit so it's not so stark. FWIW I do think black would look lovely, I just think I'd like white a smidge more. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I think you should paint it black! :) Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete