Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Double the Fun

I've been looking for months for the perfect accent chairs for the office. The white chair just wasn't cutting it for me camping out in the corner of my black and green office, and I wanted a seating area, not one chair. So the white chair headed upstairs (more on that later).


I had been scouring Craigslist with little luck. I wanted something with classic appeal - something worthy of HW Home - for not a lot of money.

All of these fabulously classic chairs from HW Home.

And then I came across a posting for two barrel shaped cane back chairs. I dragged Mr. B with me to look at them. Not because I wanted his approval - that's not how this marriage works, friends - but because I'd let my car registration expire and wasn't willing to risk another ticket 5 days after getting caught zipping through Boulder. I realized later that just because the registration on my car is up doesn't mean that I can't drive another car and I could have just taken B's car. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box. Only sometimes. Oh wait, were we talking about chairs? Sorry.

So Mr. B and I headed to a sketchy part of West Denver. Mr. B did not see how the chairs could be anything but hideous, but he wasn't along for approval (although I did ask his opinion on the comfort of the chairs since he was along for the ride. I know, I'm so giving). After realizing we were loading them into the car no matter what, Mr. B bartered the guy down from $50 for both chairs to $40. He's good at that. I'm not.


I got them home and immediately removed the seats so I could paint the chairs. Foam brushes are my new FAVORITE tool for painting furniture. And with a quart of free black Glidden paint on hand from their paint giveaway in July, I got started right away.

The next day I ventured to the fabric store - with either my signature chartreuse or a black geometric print in mind. And I fell in love with the Houndstooth. They also had it in chartreuse, but I figured I'd go classic with black.


Now, I'm not going to be one of those bloggers that acts like they invented recovering the seat of a chair with a staple gun. My mom taught me this trick when I was in utero, and you know she learned it somewhere. I guess the beauty of blogging is that you can pretend you invented an age old trick, but that's not going to happen here. If you want to change how your chair cushions look, unscrew the cushion, pull out the old staples (proof that stapling fabric to seats is not a new fangled upholstery trick), remove the old fabric and staple the new on in its place.


Done.

I love these chairs. They fit the window perfectly, I love the rounded barrel shape and the airiness of the cane back, and I love that I bought two chairs and painted and recovered them for a total of $50. What do you think? And please excuse the beige chest of drawers in the photo above, they're a work in progress as we try to move our imperfect cottage away from TV trays as side tables.

32 comments:

  1. Nice job on the chairs. I am not usually a fan of caning, but I think your chairs look soo much better with fresh paint job! The chairs have really pretty lines. Isn't it awesome how easy it is to makeover a chair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look awesome, I love the houndstooth. And thank you for not teaching me how to recover the seat with 15 close-ups. I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks awesome! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fantastic! I wish I could see the potential in things like that. I just see ugly old chair until someone else recreates it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just so you know, I invented recovering. I don't like to brag about it...but I did. And then I taught yo mama :)

    XO - KB

    p.s. FABULOUS makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just so you know, I invented recovering. I don't like to brag about it...but I did. And then I taught yo mama :)

    XO - KB

    p.s. FABULOUS makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great - please come do my office. It has so much potential - just an empty room right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOOOOVE these chairs! I actually picked up a couple extremely similar a year or so back . . . but Tony hated them, so he wouldn't let me do a transformation. I'll live vicariously through your's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look fantastic! Love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing what a coat of paint can do! Did you sand/prime first, or just slap on the paint?

    PS- In the photo, I think the chest actually looks like it's a nice greige!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love. Great transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Niiice ... I like. I was laughing at your post bc I'm the same way with Charlie. Even if I do ask his opinion it's more because I just want someone to confirm mine. Although, I tell myself that he really doesn't care what I do in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They turned out great! I've been trying to find a pair like this on craigslist, maybe they will show up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great! I would please like you to take over the decorating of our house. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful, I love the pattern that you picked out. It's perfect for the room.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Meredith -
    I'm too lazy to prime, I just slap the paint right on there. Especially when I'm painting black over a darker wood - to paint black over white primer takes zillions of coats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your transformation is wonderful. I love the look, it is much more inviting then your previous arrangment. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They looks great! Like the black a lot and the fabric is great.

    That's awesome that yo' mama did creative projects growing up. My mom.... not so much. Love her, but creativity was not her strong suit. But, she did make one helluva cookie. =) I definitely learned the art of a staple gun through blogs. haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was trying to think of a funny "Yo Mama" joke but can't b/c I am STUNNED by your bee-you-tiful chairs!!!!! OH.MAH.GAH. What beauties!

    I am so stoked you went w/ the houndstooth. Not only does it make these chairs timeless, it looks so chic w/ any accessory you throw on there. Love the pop of lime green!!

    P.S. I often find myself driving in circles when in Denver. And usually in the sketchy parts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And yes, thank q for NOT acting like you invented chair revamping. That is why I adore you. =]

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those look amazing! Way to spot a deal - I always have bad luck when I'm searching craigslist for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! The chairs look great! What a great find. I'm glad your husband can barter for you. Mine is cheap, but never gutsy enough to barter.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! :) And what a steal! Now you and Mr. B can have long corner chats about how amazing you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. they look great but i think i would have spent the money to have someone recover them and keep the detail of a box cushion/piping

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anon - Yeah, I could have taken the extra time to sew the cording onto the seats, but I decided it wasn't an important element to me for these chairs - I was concentrating on the rounded shape, and skipping the cording worked for what I wanted, but definitely an element for other chair refinishers to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You did a great job on those chairs! I think I will now keep two of ours that I had planned on throwing out.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The chairs look great!!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Em--those chairs are absolutely fantastic! I love them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello, well I know this is an old post but I just discovered your blog. I love the chairs!! You did a great job and what a deal.

    ReplyDelete