Both methods result in fruit that goes bad. So please, keeping in mind that I'm probably not a banana hammock kind of girl - either banana hammock - do you have any suggestions for keeping my apples and bananas bruiseless and keeping my countertops clutter free? What works for you and your fruit?
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Banana Hammock
Oh I can't wait to see the google searches that bring people to this post! I need kitchen help. Where do you keep your produce so it doesn't bruise and also looks uncluttered and presentable? Mr. B likes to just put the fruit all over our counter tops (drives me crazy), and I corral them into this green colander for now, but would rather nothing be on the countertop.

Both methods result in fruit that goes bad. So please, keeping in mind that I'm probably not a banana hammock kind of girl - either banana hammock - do you have any suggestions for keeping my apples and bananas bruiseless and keeping my countertops clutter free? What works for you and your fruit?
Both methods result in fruit that goes bad. So please, keeping in mind that I'm probably not a banana hammock kind of girl - either banana hammock - do you have any suggestions for keeping my apples and bananas bruiseless and keeping my countertops clutter free? What works for you and your fruit?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I have the same problem so I can't wait to see what ppl say!!! Mine is always in a bowl cluttering my counter
ReplyDeleteI keep things like apples and stone fruit in the fridge in a basket. Bananas and fruit that needs ripening go into a glass or ceramic bowl on the kitchen counter. I'm with you - I hate clutter on the counters so it does drive me mad.
ReplyDeleteWe put most fruit in a glass hurricane on the island. I usually don't have room in the fridge, or I'd put it there. It doesn't bother me in the hurricane, because it looks decent, it's easy to get to and its controlled.
ReplyDeleteMy mom used to have a banana hammock. She loved that thing. =) Me... not so much.
We keep ours in a bowl on our kitchen island. Could you get some sort of hanging basket that ISN'T a banana hammock? Our neighbors have a cool tiered hanging basket that they use for their fruit. Or put your fruit in a bowl on the dining room table, if you have room there?
ReplyDeleteWe also put bananas in a bowl on the counter. Pretty much everything else goes in the fridge.
ReplyDeleteThe colander must be a trick your mom showed you, because Paul does the same thing. Unfortunately, he put cherries in it without a paper towel under it and the acid ate away at my beautiful yellow colander!! So, the fruit in our house stays in the crisper tray, even though Paul says it makes him forget that we have it :)
ReplyDeleteI keep them in the fridge. Not because I think it helps keep them fresh but because I only eat my fruit cold. Yeah, I'm weird like that.
ReplyDeleteOK, I'm commenting again because I found something online similar to what I was thinking of. In fact, maybe we should get one of these too. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.organize-it-online.com/itm_copperfruit.html
ReplyDeleteLol Sarah - I remember my mom washing grapes in a colander and then putting them on the counter, so maybe we did get the fruit colander from Caroline! And I totally forget about fruit if we put it in the crisper, too - you and B have your hands full with the McD kids.
ReplyDeleteI hate all the little flies that gather round ripe fruit. I put most of my fruit in the fridge - I like cold fruit better, anyways. I do have a footed basket (for lack of a better word) that I put fruit in and it is often empty. Hoping for better solutions.
ReplyDeleteHeh! Remember that Friends episode when Phoebe changed her name to Princess Consuela Banana Hammock? Classic.
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way about my countertops! Maybe a banana hammock IS the way to go. Is there an out of the way spot you can put the thing?
I don't think I'll be much help- the fruit goes in the fridge (and yes forget to eat it often). The bananas go on a little banana hook/tree thing. I don't love it because it topples over a lot, but it is what my mom used...
ReplyDeleteMy best tip for not letting fruit get overripe? Eat it before it goes bad. ;-) Yeah, I'm helpful like that. :-)
ReplyDeletesomeone once told me that breaking apart your bananas and storing them in singles (rather than in the bunch) makes them ripen slower. i've been trying that for a few years now and haven't seen a difference. so basically, i'm no help at all. :P
ReplyDelete