But not a human baby. I want to snuggle a dog baby. I have puppy fever.

I've never had puppy fever. Not even when we got Casco. That was all Mr. B. He was the dog person. I cried myself to sleep (so did Casco) the first night he was home with us with thoughts of "What the hell did we get ourselves into?!"

But, I found these pictures of Casco's puppyhood and I just can't get his white fluffiness out of my mind.

I'm trying to remind myself that the fluffiness only lasts for about six months. And that the fur would be insurmountable. And that Casco would hate us forever - he likes his alone time. And that my parents might be less willing to help out when we go on vacation if there were two dogs tearing up their yard.
Please talk me down from the two dog life that's running through my head. Tell me how much harder two dogs are than one. Tell me that Casco's not even that well behaved to begin with. Tell me it's not worth the six months of cuddling.




i'm right there with you, except mine is baby fever! =)
ReplyDeleteYou know how you can barely remember Casco's puppyhood and you had to pull out photos of it to remind yourself? That's how this would be too. You would get this dog and it would be so much POOP and the dogs would be so LOUD and DESTRUCTIVE and walking them would be a pain in the ass because their leashes would get all tangled and it would drive you nuts. And then you'll end up with a baby and TWO DOGS and it will be a nightmare and the dogs will bark at each other and wake the baby up and you'll be suicidal and you won't be able to remember why in the hell you ever thought getting a second dog was a good idea.
ReplyDeleteDid that help? Because that's the reasoning I walked through when we temporarily went insane and started thinking about a second dog. As you know.
In the meantime, maybe a playdate for Casco and Montan?
my dad said something to me that totally nipped my puppy fever in the bud a few months ago: two dogs are three times the trouble.
ReplyDeleterepeat that to yourself!
I'm not going to be much help, I don't think 2 dogs is that much harder, 3 on the other hand... But, it will be 6 months of picking up poop, stepping on paper towels to get all the pee out, 2x as much food to buy, 2x the vet expense and 2x as much fur. i do love our babies though and i am glad we got another :)
ReplyDeleteWe're in the same boat! My brother's dog is having puppies in October and I desperately want one, but it's so much more work. Just think of all the training that you'll have to go through again!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have a dog, so I have no helpful advice...other than to stay AWAY from Petfinder.com!
ReplyDeleteI've got puppy fever too. But then I calculated just how much it costs us per month to have our dog and doubled it. Then my puppy fever went away.
ReplyDeleteWow. Jess is intense. I say go for it. 2 dogs are better than 1.
ReplyDeleteI can't talk you outta of it....b/c those pics are too cute!
ReplyDeleteIf I ever finish my next post you will never want another dog. EVER.
ReplyDelete2 dogs is so much harder! and you are on track with all of your thoughts. the in-laws never had a problem watching Jack #1, now that we have Jack One and Too, its a little more difficult, and the hair is out of control!
ReplyDeleteI've got puppy fever too (baby fever is sooooo not me right now). And when the puppy looks like Casco McCuteypatootie (I promise I won't call him that in public), how could you resist?!
ReplyDeleteHowever, Hiro is so used to being an only child & prefers it that way. Our friends (who used to have Kirby) got a 2nd dog, a Newfie no less, and then got pregnant soon after. Hello handful! I always feel bad asking friends to watch Hiro and I can't imagine asking them to watch 2 dogs (esp. since they already have dogs to begin with).
Yes, I am writing you a novel today w/ my comments. Anyway, I forgot to mention that I was SO not a dog person until Mr. FC brought home Hiro (and I was really just interested in the burrito he was bringing for dinner). 8 yrs later & I'm just smitten & prefer dogs over some of our friends. Heh.
ReplyDeleteHa! Are you kidding? The second one is easier...economies of scale and all. Plus, the older one helps with potty training...seriously, GET THE PUPPY! (Then post lots and lots of photos.) =)
ReplyDeleteI have three dogs (no kids) and no longer get the "baby itch" but instead get puppy fever quite often!
Oh, we are wanting another doggie friend for our Niko. I keep telling myself all the potty training and nights of whimpering and no-sleep will be worth it.
ReplyDeleteI feel you, I think about getting a second puppy especially when the sad spca ads or whatever are on. But then I think of the fur.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I totally thought you meant you were going to have a HUMAN baby. I love puppies, too. Then, I realize I cannot even get my grown-up dogs to do what they are supposed to.
ReplyDeleteCasco was a damn cute puppy though, wasn' the?
the answer is always more puppies! we have 2 dogs (goldens) and i love it. they are best friends and i feel so much better that they have each other, esp. when we work. the only downside is that i do feel bad when i ask our friends to help us out and watch our dogs, because most of our friends only have 1 dog. we also got them at the same time - they are brothers - so we didn't go through the puppy phase twice.
ReplyDeleteIt so is worth the 6 months of cuddling. Then they grow up to sleep on your couches, pull you into water in an attempt to get a duck, assault children for their food, and chase the neighbor's cat. Or is that just my dog?
ReplyDeleteMaybe get a human baby instead? They eventually stop pooping in the yard. ;) And they're less hairy. And you two look like you would make some beautiful babies. ;)
ReplyDeleteThe good thing about a dog baby is you don't have to give up wine while it's forming brain cells and ears and all that. Definitely a bonus.
ReplyDeletei'm a new reader. i'm gonna go all complaining like Jess. having one dog i wasn't so thrilled about but things were okay. we got a second dog and shit hit the fan. suddenly the first dog is no longer content to just sit around all day and likes to ruin our stuff just like the puppy. and they playfight all over our bed and couch when we are just trying to relax. ahhhh!
ReplyDelete