Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Shoulder to Shoulder

Sunday was the big Colorado rivalry: The Rocky Mountain Showdown. The University of Colorado played Colorado State. It's really not that big a deal, except that there are so many divided households in Colorado that it's become a big deal only to Coloradans.

Before heading up to Boulder for the big game, we attempted a family Christmas Card photo. You know, because I'm the kind of person who starts thinking about these things 4 months in advance. Casco wasn't cooperating - no spirit wear on your Christmas Cards this year, friends. Which is probably good since we had a pool noodle and a suspicious broken doorbell in the background.


Mr. B and I are CU Buffaloes. My sister, brother and sister-in-law went to State. My Iowa Alumni parents claim to be neutral but every year we catch them rooting for the damn Rams. So in the McD family, this is a big game. Bragging rights for a year depend on the first football game of the season.

The Rams won this year. I turned my phone off in the first quarter to avoid my brother's text messages and spent the second half trying to keep Mr. B from taking a rivalry with the CSU fan sitting next to him too far.

But win or lose, boy is our Stadium beautiful. Really, does anything beat the Flatirons as the backdrop to your entire college experience? CSU's farmland certainly doesn't come close.

What big rivalries are you looking forward to this fall?

16 comments:

  1. We have some big Utah/BYU rivalries in our extended family! Funny thing is, my Dad only went to BYU, didn't graduate there and did medical school at Utah but is still an avid BYU Cougar fan! I went to Utah State but the Aggies NEVER win at football so it's more of a joke! But we had lovely mountains at all of our schools so I couldn't agree more! And we beat OU last week in Dallas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were at the game too!? Is that photo from your seats? You were pretty much right over us.

    Chris is a Buff- He has a hatred for all things CSU. It was a sad day for him when the Rams rushed the field. I am neutral in the whole thing- but of course, I would have rather had CU win. Oh well.

    (Although the game was not a total loss- that streaker was pretty exciting! No?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps- I was going to start my comment saying . . . "we will fight . . . Fight . . . Fight, Fight, Fight!"

    (The speed at which the student section speeds up the three "fights" at the end of the song is one on my worst pet peeves. Argh! I get ticked off just thinking about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we're not real Coloradans yet because we totally did not know the game was even happening until we read about it on the front page of the paper the next day. Oh well. Next year!

    My big rivalry is UNC vs. Duke in basketball. Go UNC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love football season!!! I think the picture turned out cute..i miss my dog everytime I see yours

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because we don't really have any "real" college or pro teams around here, the only football rivalry on my radar is the annual battle between my high school's football team and my husband's high school football team.

    This year will be a big battle especially, because my brother is playing for the high school that I went to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This weekend in little ol' Ames, Iowa is our big rivalry. Iowa vs Iowa State. Hawkeyes vs Cyclones. My hubby vs me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those pictures! That stadium is muy impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the big one here is Auburn-Alabama. practically my entire family went to Auburn, and my sister just married an Alabama fan. should be extra-interesting this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys look so cute in your gear. PS - Your hair is fab in those pictures.

    I wouldn't really call myself a football fan. I watch the Bears with Ryan cause it makes him happy. But, I don't have the love for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sister is/was also a CU Buff, so she was sitting in a Chicago bar while I was texting her. I'm sorry you lost. Don't they always play the Fri after Thanksgiving too?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look so pretty in the top picture! Your hair is great! Mine never behaves like that.


    Oh yeah, and GOOOOOOOOOOO CSU!

    I don't really care actually, I just choose my teams by physical proximity :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just want to say that I always love posts with Casco pics in them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iowa kicks Iowa State's arse. What I'm trying to say is Iowa is THE best school ever and so are the people who went there. I can go on and on but I don't want to make everyone else feel inferior.

    {My keyboard needs a sarcasm font. But seriously, I love my Iowa Hawks.}

    {We'd like to borrow that noodle for our holiday card photo. I mean, only if you guys are done w/ it.}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mr.McB and I are WVU alumni. We have season tickets. However, the biggest rivalry is no longer played. It was WVU vs. VT. However, we still play Pitt in the Backyard Brawl and the state considers our game with Marshall a rivalry (but it really isn't).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well hello sexy. You look so fabulous in these pics!

    I forgot to tell you--I played in a volleyball tournament a few weekends ago and one of the guys on the other team looked EXACTLY like B! I wish I had my camera with me b/c I totally would've taken a picture of him to show you. And I have to admit--I was scanning the crowd for you too--just in case. ;)

    ReplyDelete