You know what I've never really understood? Placemats.
Don't get me wrong, I think some of them (like the PB ones above) are lovely. But I don't get them. I mean, I think that they are supposed to protect the table from food...right? But isn't it just as easy to wipe up a table as it is to wipe up 6 placemats after a dinner party?
Or are they just to add color to the table? I can see that, maybe. But a runner is easier on our round tables. And I have chargers on my dining room table to add color and interest and keep me from piling mail there - but they're not there to catch my numerous crumbs. That's what we got Casco for.
So, what's your take on placemats? Unnecessary? Or absolutely impossible to live without? Would I understand them more if I had a square or rectangular table? I would love to be enlightened. Sound off!
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







I have an oval table that is supposed to seat six. But six placemats do not fit comfortably without overlapping. Therefore, I hate placemats. But I also don't own tablecloths, runners, not do I set up centerpieces. So my opinion probably doesn't count for much as far as table decor is concerned.
ReplyDeleteThey're alright, but I don't really use them. Like you said...why not wipe the table down instead of shaking 4-6 place mats over the garbage can after dinner? My mom has place mats for every season imaginable and she loves them all. To each her own!
ReplyDeleteThis is how I see it - and it might make more sense after you're a mommy. I always use placemats under my kids, to protect my table. AND . . . it's a whole lot easier to pick up a placemat that is covered with milk and cereal and bring it to the sink than to have to wash the table. so, my placemats aren't pretty - they're "kid friendly."
ReplyDeleteI need to use placemats on occasions where our plates and serveware are hot or very cold - so that we don't get those nasty white rings or spots on our table. Other than that, I don't use them.
ReplyDeleteI use them so my table doesn't get scratched or marked up. I also think they add color to the table and sort of mark everyone's spot.
ReplyDeleteFor me, they're just another thing to wash after my messy husband eats. The only thing on my table 90 percent of the time is a plain white tablecloth that I can bleach the heck of. Plus, I hate our table and just want it covered with something white.
ReplyDeleteNow, if I ever dipped the table and painted it white like I've always wanted, I'd probably use placemats.
I don't use placemats in the conventional sense. They're can be messy looking and never stay straight. Sometimes I'll buy an interesting looking one and use it to anchor a centerpiece on my table, but that's about it. I much prefer to use runners and/or tablecloths.
ReplyDeleteI don't think they're necessary, but I do think they can be useful. Sometimes it's easier to transport a mess directly to the sink or garbage, you know? And you might want to protect your table. I think they're a nice alternative to tablecloths, unless you have a table you don't want people to see.
ReplyDeleteThose last placemats for a round table kinda freak me out. I have a few and rarely use them cause they don't look right on a round table. But, sometimes they look good. I vote that it's more for looks.
ReplyDeleteI use them so my table doesn't get scratched just at mealtime..........and keep them on top of the fridge unless we are eating. I do have one on top of my microwave (for a bit of color) though.
ReplyDeletei have mixed feelings on placemats - we have several sets but we rarely use them when it's just us at home - however we have two plastic ones that we use under the kids spots because they are messy things and it helps protect the table - i love our table so i hate to cover it up with cloths or runners so the placemats are a simple solution to protect the table while easily removing them so i can enjoy the simplicity of our table
ReplyDeleteWe use placemats on our wood table to avoid heat marks from the plates and water stains from the glasses.
ReplyDeleteTo protect the table from hot plates and also condensation from drink glasses.
ReplyDeleteI usually use them for decoration and when we have fancy dinners.
I prefer placemats to coasters because I serve my ice water COLD... it drips condensation all over the place. PLUS, here's a point not yet made: if one person spills, you can throw the placemat in the wash and put out a new one, rather than removing the centerpiece, etc., washing and pressing a tablecloth and putting it back on.
ReplyDeleteI have a rectangular table and I use place mats all the time when it's just the two of us, or if we have 2 people for company. If we have any more than 4 people, the table is just too crowded to use them. But I like them because it protects the table if the dishes are hot, or if there is condensation or any other spills/messes/wear and tear that would eventually make my table look worn. I don't keep them on my table on a regular basis though. I have a table runner and centerpiece and then I just clear that away and put the placemats on when I set the table.
ReplyDeleteI was raised with a Dad who HAD to have something between his elbows and the table. So we always had a tablecloth if he was home and placemats if he was gone (most placemats aren't big enough for elbows) My Mom has since started using cute dishtowels as placemats to solve the elbow problem. It's easier to wash those than a big tablecloth for her.
ReplyDeleteWhen we got married, we had a hideous table that had to have a tablecloth on it 24/7 to hide its ugly face and so we used placemats on top to make the tablecloths last longer.
but now I'm part of the Mom crowd. We inherited Jan's beautiful kitchen table so I take very big precautions to keep kid food, water stains, and heat off it!
I love table runners, but I pull out place mats when we eat at the table. I use them to protect the table, not from crumbs, but scratches and other marks. I don't leave them on the table though because I think it looks too cluttered and I really like my dark wood table.
ReplyDelete