Pin It button on image hover

Monday, September 28, 2009

No Soliciting

When it comes to door to door sales, where do you stand? Are you ready to slap a No Soliciting sign on your door, or are you happy to talk briefly with those that stop by?

We get a lot of door to door "trying to get a better start in life" magazine sales, cleaning product sales, etc. Mr. B wants to slap up a No Soliciting sign. Some of our neighbors have done it. But I think it looks unfriendly. And I love Thin Mints.

I turned to Etsy seller Heartfelt Giver and saw this take on a No Soliciting sign and like it, I think it's more friendly than others. But I'm okay with talking religion - I'm happy and secure with my own faith, but my cousin served a mission for his church years ago and every time I see a young missionary at my door I think of him. I'm happy to talk, offer a glass of water, and learn so that I have a better understanding of what makes other people tick.

Our neighbor with a young baby wants a sign just because of nap time and doorbells, and the dog barking. So maybe this is just a more polite way of handling the "please don't ring my doorbell" situation?
Credit

What's your take on door to door disturbances? Anyone have a sign for their door?

19 comments:

  1. I only get annoyed with solicitors when it's Saturday morning. That is normally when they come. My hubby will talk to them, I just don't answer the door. I'm not a mean person and I understand that this their job, but I always feel bad saying no. So, my passive aggressive self just thinks not answering the door will solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, my parents used to get harassed by solicitors all the time, and finally when I was like 15 I made up a sign for them that said, "Solicitors will be rudely received." It worked like a charm!

    All we get here is the occasional kid selling subscriptions to raise money for a college fund. I don't mind that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We live on a busy two lane road with no sidewalk. If someone knocked on my door, I would automatically be suspicious. But I would definitely put up a sign if the situation arose. Like Kelly, I feel bad telling people no, so I would rather they just not come by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in the middle of nowhere, so if someone is knocking on my door, we have issues! It's one of the best things about living in the country :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah, that's a tough call. I want to be a friendly neighbor, but I don't want "religious" people coming to talk me out of my own beliefs as a christian. Somehow they come across like they know so much more, so on that note I don't like feeling like I have to defend myself at my own door. But I too like girl scout cookies and friendly neighbors stopping by to say hello. Love the signs you found!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sign number 2! I'm not a big fan of people knocking on my door to sell me stuff....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't buy anything from anyone at my door anymore. Last year, I bought some chocolates from a sweet little girl, gave her my check, and never saw her again. I guess she needed the chocolate (or money) more than I do. Now, I just buy things from coworker's or family's kids. But, we don't get a ton of folks at our door anyhow. I don't think we'd need the sign, but I don't think they are tacky if you get people at your house a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow- kim said we were on the same page today and she was right! I made a no soliciting sign for my door and even made mention to girl scouts! great minds must think alike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post! I'm enjoying the comments too. I almost never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. I know that's terrible but I always feel bad and end up buying stuff I don't want or need. One time Andy was approached while working in the garage and took it upon himself to come all the way inside, find me downstairs and drag me away from my workshop to talk to a little boy scout...even though I have two boy scouts in the family and already buy popcorn that never gets eaten, I bought more. Funny thing was, this little guy kept trying to upsell!!

    A polite little sign would be appropriate, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually just don't answer the door. Mean, maybe, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not a fan of people knocking on my door, and I don't answer it. I don't think it is safe, unfortunately. I'm in favor of the bird sign...but I am not sure it would do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friend has a sign with a sleeping baby on it that says "please knock". It's simple and laminated so it's not cutesy like these but it serves the purpose, mostly... I have to knock over and over and over to get them to come to the door though because they have such a big house. So it's not entirely effective.

    i'm glad you're nice to the sweet boys in suits. :) they don't bite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just don't answer the door unless it's someone I know, like a neighbor kid selling something. I don't think it's safe these days to just answer the door to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with sara. I had a guy come to the door at 8:15 a.m. last Saturday morning, wearing a t-shirt and jeans. No way was I going to open the door. I live in a city, so there are always a variety people around the apartment. Who knows what that guy was up to?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have a sign up, but now that we live in the country, it's not a problem (we do get handwritten cards via mail asking us to join whatever church, though!). When we lived in the city, we always got solicitors just as we were settling in for dinner... our dog's barking scared most of them and let us yell "not interested" while pretending to hold him back. I'd be all in favor for putting up a sign though - unless it's a girl scout with cookies or a boy scout with wreaths, I'm not interested in what they're selling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. we live in a condo now so thankfully we don't get any solicitors but i do like the idea of the "do not disturb" sign especially if there is a napping baby in the house - and now i guess i need to come up with a new way of buying my samoas

    ReplyDelete
  17. We wish for boy & girl scouts to come to our door, but we always get the local contractors:
    "Hey! You need to replace your windows! Want a new paint job? That air conditioning unit looks pretty shabby..."
    I made the mistake of agreeing to listen to their 3 hour window spiel once and had to literally kick them out of our house. Now I politely say, "No thank you, we're working on all that. We're Do-it-Yourself-ers". When I really want to say, "Thanks for pointing that out, a&*^(@(#*!" ;)
    Maybe I need to buy that second sign! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the first sign! Its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I get annoyed with the religious solicitors that you tell them you are not interested and they keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete