
All I knew when I decided the shelves needed work was that I didn't like bookshelves crammed with books. And Mr. B doesn't read for enjoyment and I try to use the library (except right now because I owe $0.80 and I hate the shame they make you feel when you go in to pay your fine), so we don't have a lot of books laying around anyway. But I also don't like shelves crammed with things.
How did I know this? Oh, it took trial and error.

It was a nightmare. I cannot believe I allowed people in my home just a year ago with things looking like this.

The first thing I tackled was the amount of stuff. My mom helped me with the organization piece last fall while I was unemployed. It is our study, afterall, so storage couldn't be ignored. We replaced the college plastic bins we still had with black storage boxes, assembled the chartreuse magazine holders and file boxes I already had, and mostly just pared down. Translation = toss the crap.
But I still didn't love our study. And the main reason for that was the bookshelves...which just pissed me off because we'd spent money on them (another reason why I'll never buy furniture without living in a new space for a few months first) and I'd spent all 2 weeks of unemployment trying to like them.
I had to love them again. And the only way I decided I could do that was if they worked together as a cohesive team - and not flanking the desk like I had always arranged them. Luckily, the little wall in our office was just the right length to accommodate the ladder shelves.

I promise you the only change I made before taking this photo was to remove a few dust bunnies - this new setup is totally liveable.
Then I reordered the shelves. The big black boxes and printer on the bottom shelf to blend in with the unit more. The lighter and less bulky pieces on upper shelves. And mostly, open space. Shelves need a little room to breathe.
So here's what I know about how I like my bookshelves:
1. Love where the physical shelves are. They need to work for you aesthetically as well as functionally.
2. Commit to your shelves not being a dumping ground - they serve both a useful and decorative purpose, find the balance and stick with it.
3. Figure out what that purpose is. Are these in your dining room? Maybe you want them to serve as decor and a functional drink station. Family room? You might need to work some entertainment electronics in. Study or Home office? Storage is going to be a big deal.
4. Don't fill every square inch - everyone likes room to breathe, even inanimate objects. Decide what you need to make the shelves work for your purposes and stick to the minimum. I needed two regular sized file boxes in black, the rest of the things I could pull from around the house.
5. I count 23 non book items on my shelves and 6 books. Math wasn't my major, but I think that's about a 4 to 1 ratio of non-books to books. Kind of sad for a girl who's major was English Literature, but that's a whole 'nother Oprah. I think this ratio could work better 3 to 1, but I have to go find some books for that.
6. Pick a theme. In the before pictures, I had just about everything - white, black, green, clear plastic. It was ugly. With black and green being the only two statement makers here the few things that don't match - like my beloved Maine shadowbox look eclectic and purposeful instead of thrown together.
7. Group like-objects together. The green magazine files would look less purposeful if they were spread out among each shelf, but together they make a color statement. And to take it a step further, I like groups of 3.
8. Mix it up - have some book stacked on top of each others lined upright. I don't really care about color groupings, but some people do.
9. Be patient, be flexible and be open to things like your husband's bachelor party golf photo taking up an entire shelf. Any photos of me asking a police officer to handcuff me at my bachelorette party framed in our office? I don't think so.
Any tips you'd like to add? What works for you?




Great post! I love the step by step walk through of how you found your sanity with these shelves! And they look awesome.
ReplyDeleteThose shelves look great! I've got one bookshelf in my house and I hate looking at it! haha I'll have to take some of your advice and see if I can't make it look that much better! Thanks!
ReplyDeletesuch a smart girl! I totally agree!
ReplyDeletegreat job! both functional and attractive. i really love the & !
ReplyDeleteThey look SO much better! I absolutely love the styling, but I think the fact that they're together is my favorite part. It just pulls everything together and makes it look fantastic.
ReplyDeleteBecause my husband and I do have a lot of books, I only put books on the couple of bookshelves we have because the other stuff makes it look cluttery. If I didn't have that many books, I like the way you did this (or I would just not have bookshelves) It's so hard to make them look nice, but yours do!
ReplyDeleteThe shelves look great!
ReplyDeleteFor us, our bookshelves are almost all books. I have a few knick-knacks tossed in, and people always ask why there's a picture on my bookshelf!
Anyway, I agree with ordering books both vertically and horizontally. If you're using the shelves for books, it's crucial to find a method of organization that works for you--whether that's grouping by subject, alphabetizing everything, or grouping by color. I've always grouped by color (even before it was popular), because that was the fastest way for me to find a book.
Nice work ... I like those bookshelves a lot. I think you might die if I sent you a picture of mine. It's crammed full of books. :)
ReplyDeleteThis is so helpful! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteI love the file boxes. Where did you get those? I'm in search of some of my own right now.
My problem is I clean and organize, but never get to the point where it's liveable. Our office has become a dumping ground and I hate it. Need to work on that this month. =) I'll be using your tips. I tend to over-clutter so I need work through it.
I feel totally out of the loop here. I just put books on my bookshelves, maybe a couple candles and photos if it feels right. As for organizational methods - I don't think I've ever tried that. Grouping by color? That helps you find the book? I'm confused.
ReplyDeleteI guess I need to keep reading this blog for the free domestic education?
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing difference, you would be appalled at my bookshelves!!! :)
ReplyDeleteKaren
What a difference. Thanks for all the tips, I have a bookcase in my house that needs a serious overhaul!
ReplyDeleteYou have such a knack for this stuff. You just have an eye for what works. I am jealous of that because I seem to be missing that gene.
ReplyDeleteThey look so much better next to each other! Are the green and black boxes from ikea? I have some white ones, but they seem to puff out funny. Where is the green & from? I love it!
ReplyDeleteI'm new to your blog and love it!! Your envelope system posts have been very inspirational to me. I actually went back and read all your posts on budgeting and you have many very useful tips! And it looks like we have similar decorating style as well…..love the shelves! Great blog!
ReplyDeleteBecca
I love the way you organized your bookcases. May I ask where these bookcases are from? I absolutely love the style! Thanks!
ReplyDelete