My parents' neighbors make us chocolate turkeys every year for Thanksgiving. They bring by the plate of deliciousness on Thanksgiving morning, and my mom has to shout "Hands off! We need a turkey for everyone tonight!" at me all day as I try to sneak a turkey while grazing through helping in the kitchen.

At my bridal shower, this neighbor gave me a cake decorating kit so that I could make my own turkeys, and with Kim's challenge I decided this was the year to try.
Here's what you need:

Nonpareils (my old neighbor does half with the white sprinkles, half with the colored sprinkles, so I did, too). They're hard to find - if you can't find them, chocolate melting wafers from Hobby Lobby will work.
Stiff Royal Icing
Malted Milk Balls. They're cuter if you don't use the whoppers, but I was in a time crunch after hunting down the Nonpareils. You want bigger malted milk balls for a more realistic turkey.
I suggest you make your turkeys in steps - do all the bases first, let them dry, and start on the feathers, then move onto the faces. Start with the white sprinkled nonpareil. Put a glob of royal icing on the candies and push the malted milk balls into the icing.

Now put a glob of royal icing on the multi colored (colors represent turkey feathers, ya know) sprinkled wafers and push the wafer onto the backside of the malted milk balls.

Now here's where you have to be a little bit dexterous. Which I'm not. Take your royal icing and pipe on a beak and little wings - here's my best face and wings, pre-feathers. I was a little more experienced at this point in the piping game.

And you've got chocolate Thanksgiving turkeys. My mom puts one on each plate every year at Thanksgiving. These are getting plated and shipped out to our neighbors - just like my parents' neighbors would want them to. Please excuse the smooshed faces - we call this blog imperfect for a reason.






Love them. They are so cute and they look delicious! Can I be your neighbor?
ReplyDeleteAdorable! And they look delicious, too!
ReplyDeleteOh my, aren't they just the cutest mini edible turkeys I've ever seen! And that's saying a lot because I happen to think turkeys are pretty ugly in general.
ReplyDeleteOh my, aren't they just the cutest mini edible turkeys I've ever seen! And that's saying a lot because I happen to think turkeys are pretty ugly in general.
ReplyDeletewow those are cute! how martha of you!
ReplyDeleteCute, cute, cute!!
ReplyDeleteI love that you are carrying on a tradition. And, I'm just totally impressed that you can make those little things look like turkeys. Kim and frosting don't mix.
ReplyDeleteSo happy you joined in. You always come up with the cleverest things. =)
These are adorable. My boys would love to find these at their plate for Thanksgiving dinner! Thanks for the idea!!
ReplyDeleteLove these! They are so cute! They look too cute to eat...
ReplyDeleteWow, you are really daring to take on a project like this! Very cute. Anything that includes whoppers is OK in my book!
ReplyDeleteThese are darling. Makes me want to gobble one up!
ReplyDeleteFirst off - my kids love any excuse to go to Mr. Fuzziwigs! Second, these are super darling and are going to be added to my arsenal of treats this year! yeah!
ReplyDeleteToo cute! Edible crafts are the best.
ReplyDeleteI love them, I know I would have been popping those woppers in my mouth the whole time I was "playing" I mean creating these cute little treats!
ReplyDeleteUm ... did I mention that we're now neighbors? Those are adorable ... you were much more productive than I was this weekend!
ReplyDeleteThose are adorable!! I think I'm gonna have to try them out. Too cute!
ReplyDeleteSo cute!!
ReplyDeleteThese are the cutest!! So yummy looking.
ReplyDeleteAnd now I'm craving chocolate. Feel free to send a few to Brick City.
What a super cute idea! I love how you used both the white and colored sprinkles.
ReplyDeleteDo you have a recipe for your icing to share?
Um that looks delish. AND it would go well with wine!
ReplyDelete@AlexandJess I just use the Wilton recipe for royal icing - cut down a ton because you don't need 3 cups for this recipe. http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Royal-Icing
ReplyDeleteThese are SUPER adorable OMG. I HEART! What a great idea and you did well. I think my faces and wings would just turn out looking like blobs.
ReplyDeleteToo stinking cute! I think you need a neighbor in every state and nominate myself as your neighbor in CT.
ReplyDeleteThose turkeys are adorable. You did a great job. Am I close enough to be in your neighborhood?
ReplyDeleteSo cute!
ReplyDelete