Pin It button on image hover

Monday, November 9, 2009

Lots of I's in Team

Mr. B and I tried to embrace a project together. A project that involved power tools, wood, measurements and patience. How'd we do? It took us two weeks, and I did very little after initiating and being really gung-ho in the beginning. 
I've wanted Casco to have an elevated food dish for awhile. He eats too quickly - it's bad for his stomach and digestion - and I thought elevating his precious morsels of venison would help. Then Kim posted about how Ryan whipped up an elevated feeder for their dogs and I was all "Hell, how hard can it be?". My brother was in town that day and he said "Couldn't you just buy one at Petco for like $20?" Yeah. Probably should have.
Oh, we are not good at projects like this together. It was my project, but within 5 minutes of mentioning it to B he was telling me how I should do it. Which made me spicy and all "Just because I'm not an engineer doesn't mean I can't figure out how big something should be". Which made him spicy. Then I had to learn how to use a power tool. Which made me spicy. And B had to step into "my project"...spicily. Then the wood splintered. Spicy. Then liquid nails didn't hold. Spicy. Then I went inside. And two weeks later B finished it. I was so over this project about 5 minutes in. I could blame the wood we used (terrible) or the liquid nails (really old) but mostly I think I'm the problem. 

So here's our beadboard elevated feeder for Casco - still in need of some caulking and touching up. So you can actually consider this a month long little project.  It actually has slowed Casco down a bit with his food consumption.  The feeder itself is a little ummm...let's just say that you wouldn't want us to build you one, mmkay? Call Kim and Ryan for that. But it will do here at imperfect.


22 comments:

  1. Tom and I still haven't learned to work well on projects. It's either me bossing him, or him bossing me - neither of which bode well in our relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks great! and they really do help the dogs eat. i found ours at goodwill for like $3, but probably spent more money on spraypaint and metal bowls for it than if i were to buy it new, but oh well! you can be proud of your diy-ness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! That is life everyday in my house. I'm a "yeah, whatever, it looks good there, put the nail in, no-patience kinda girl" and my darling husband comes to the table with 6 different levels, 3 measuring tapes, multiple pencils and endless patience.

    Oh and I eat too quickly too, will this work for me?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks good- and I bet you'll love it after you caulk that sucker up. "Team" projects can be a real pain. Not that I have first hand experience or anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. When we work together I have resigned myself to the fact that I am the errand boy, er, girl. I go get tools, hold things in place, etc. And you know what? I actually like it now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw...it looks far better than those cheap feeders made in China! Good job!

    BTW, I am about to give you a blog award. Come on over to my blog in a few minutes to claim it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha I'm married to an engineer too! I can relate to "spicy."

    I think it looks good! We need to slow down our dog's food consumption too, so if this is working for Casco perhaps we should consider....consider buying it that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol...I totally relate to the month-long projects! I feel like we have the never-will-be-finished nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your project sounds like what happened when we tried to hang curtains. Especially when I accused C of not knowing how to use a drill. That one didn't go over so well.

    The feeder's cute. They are definitely more than $20 unless you enjoy the look of plastic. So I say it was definitely worth the work. By the way nothing, I mean nothing, will stop our dogs from inhaling their food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is definitely super cute. Montana lies down while she eats. It's pretty funny. I don't think she'd appreciate an elevated feeder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my- spicy is such a good word. I understand exactly what you mean about the engineer- they always think they know the best way. Sometimes he does have a much better way . . but still. Spicy. I am going to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I laughed out loud when I read this post because it is the story of all of our projects. We used to joke that if we could get out of Home Depot without a disagreement that it was a miracle. I either question everything the husband does which just slightly frustrates him or I have been known to stare into space when I am supposed to be holding or handing something. It is the finished product that counts...and I love the dog bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Hubby is an engineer too, and we do NO projects together now. Hubby builds, I shop. Otherwise, we end up with: "Why are you doing THAT!? You should be doing it that way!" "Oh, I didn't know I thought it was fine." "NO! That's dumb. Stop it! Why can't you do it right?" "I'm NOT an idiot! Don't treat me like one!" "I wasn't!" "Yes you WERE! Ugh! If you're sooo smart, just do it yourself!"

    Oh, and we bought our dog elevated food bowls. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my, I hope Casco's food isn't too spicy or doesn't end up on the floor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice work, that looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like my bloggers like I like my food: "spicy". I think I kinda/really love you, Em.

    It looks FABULOUS!! Only the best for the Casco Monster.

    I am totally w/ you & Shannon--I'm all about instant gratification whereas Mr. FC has 3 kinds of levels, 342 stinkin' drill bits, & insists on wearing his toolbelt just to hang pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! I can't stand trying to hang pictures with my boyfriend, I'm so over the process, 3 seconds into it, when I have to fetch tools and then he's gotta measure and mark. Just eyeball it already!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Too funny. That sounds like a story from our house. I am all about the creative ideas and M is all about the details. Once and a while we are on the same page. I also hate it when I have a project going and M decides to take over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah, Rob and I can't work on projects together either. We learned this on week one of dating while trying to put up curtains in my apartment. Spiciness all around. ;) (love that phrase)

    Rob will use power tools for me or tear down walls for me or whatever I need "brute man strength" for, but I'm in charge of the putting together parts. We only work well together... separately. Thus: it takes me 3 weeks to paint kitchen cabinets. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ps: also, it looks great! :) I'm sure Casco is supremely excited. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. pps: I LOVE the yellow striped rug! Where did you get it?

    (ok, I'm really done now)

    I think...

    ReplyDelete