Pin It button on image hover

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas Gift Philosophy

I've taken a stand on Christmas anxiety - there will be none of it. Last year I planned out the Christmas shopping months in advance, literally put months of thought into gifts for our family and friends, and at the last minute panicked that we didn't have enough for a few kids. So we ran out and bought them something they already had. Totally not worth the stress and panic.


So I realized that it doesn't matter. That we need to refocus on what Christmas is all about. There's the religious aspect to the holiday - which is important to our little family. Spending time with people, yes. Remembering the people you love, yes. Gifts, no. And that's the philosophy I've adopted - Church, Love, Family. That's Christmas.


For gifts, I'm going simple. If I know of something someone wants or needs, I'll do what I can to provide it. But beyond that, the whole point of giving Christmas gifts, to me, is that the people you give to feel thought of and loved. And I put a whole lot of thought into every gift I give. As we add McKiddles to our family, I know this will evolve. But I'm vowing now to stick to a minimum - something you want, something you need, something to play with and something to read.

It may be bought or made; edible, drinkable, wearable or use and tossable; but I can promise that thought, time, love and sometimes sweat and blood went into the gifts I'm giving this year. So that's just going to have to do. Because putting into motion now that Christmas is about people, love and spending time together instead of a competition to spend the most money is not a bad thing.

11 comments:

  1. This is what we are going for this Christmas as well. I hate all mandatory gift exchanges with preset limits and wish lists, might as well just exchange cash! We're trying for thoughtful gifts that won't break the bank this year. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I have grown to dislike the holiday season b/c of all the commercialism. I am sooo sick of kids always saying I want, I want, I want. When I was growing up we were taught to be thankful for what we had. I like giving gifts when I can find the perfect gift for someone and they need it. I could care less if I get gifts, I really would rather just spend time with family, friends and eat, drink and have good conversations and fun.

    Every year at the stores the holiday deocrations in stores come out earlier and earlier. The Christmas music is paying the day after Halloween.

    I am not even religious but the holidays were much better in simpler times and I wish it would go back to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really glad Justin's family decided to buy gifts for the kids, and draw names for adults. Christmas, along with 6 December birthdays in our immediate family, was just getting to be too much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, Emily. We've done lots of cutting to Christmas gifting. It's so much less stressful this way and it means more when you can give meaningful gifts to those who mean the most to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said - we're trying a lot for gifts with memories this year, instead of stuff. My kiddos are still little so we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the phrase "something you want , something you need, something to play with and something to read'.

    This year we set a 25 maximum budget all each persons' gifts. Its been easier for some and harder for others, but its getting us to think really hard about what we want to get instead of just being grab/spend happy.

    Well said..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this philosophy, and you've articulated it so well.

    Also, I still just love the term McKiddles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I strive to give thoughtful gifts and then panic when time runs short. I also have found that as a mom of kids who are just getting to the fun part of Christmas, I don't care what I get at all, I just get giddy over their excitment and creating a wonderful Christmas for them! That's the best part of the McKiddles, playing Santa!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally agree. I can't wait to see what you've come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed! I love gift giving, but I don't believe the gifts need to be expensive- just thoughtful. I start thinking about holiday gifts over the summer, and really enjoy taking time to think about what each person will enjoy or use. Their reaction (hopefully a big smile) is more important than the price tag. And being crafty sure helps with this mission.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post! My thoughts exactly this year. Thanks for sharing!

    Holly
    http://hallelujahsbyholly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete