Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Garden Parties

I cannot wait for spring. Colorado just doesn't have snow on the ground from October on - and this year we have.  And I'm sick of it.  Sick of choosing my wardrobe around Uggs and my big brown puffy coat.

So, I turned to garden dreaming to get me through the last month or two of this crap.  The backyard is set - B's mom and dad designed and planted our garden for our wedding gift and it turned out beautifully, so other than the annual herb planting in the kitchen garden, we're set there.  But the front yard is still builder basic.

We're at a precarious point in home ownership - the we won't be here all that much longer so don't want to put too much more into the house point.  We had that conversation with our neighbors the other day and they freaked that we were moving - we aren't but we do know we won't be here forever.


But a girl can still dream, can't she? I have dreams of a cottage flower garden - no low-maintenance shrubs to be found.

Credit

 

  

  


I'm ready for sunnier days. What about you?  Any garden plans in the works to help combat the winter blues?  Anyone else at the "If we move in two years will this still be worth it?" stage of home ownership?






20 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE gardening. I'm expectiong my first baby soon and I'm worried that I'll be so busy being a new mom that my beds will look like ass this year! I have so much trimming and winter clean up to do. BUt I thoroughly enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a post about this yesterday--we are overhauling our entire front and backyard this spring--we bought the house after having it been empty for 3 years so the DIRT in our front and back yard needs some grass and flowers! Definitely worth the investment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just bought our house this fall, but at the time we knew at most we're probably living here for 4 years, then either selling to move to a new base, or selling to make his commute shorter (and get more land to grow a veggie garden). We surprisingly bought a rowhome in the city with very little backyard and no front at all (surprising because I love to garden) so I too am dreaming of big gardens (full of English garden roses, peonies, lilac, irises and such). It's hard to be in a place where you don't want to get too attached or bother making too many changes! Your poor neighbors are probably hoping the next people keep the home as nice as you seem to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fortunate that we don't ever plan on selling Wendhurst Castle. We may move, but I don't think we'll ever sell it, we'll just own both. It makes decision making much more simple. :-) I think you should go for it, and then transplant anything you love to your next house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A word to the wise: You may want to be discrete about your plans to list the house. You never know what your neighbors' real estate plans are, and sometimes it pays off to be the first one on the market for your block.

    Also, you're obviously thinking wisely about projects because you should never price your house out of the neighborhood. About a year before we listed our first home, we invited our realtor over to give her advice on what should be done and what should be left for the next owners--her perspective was really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely in the same boat.

    Moving is soon to come for us...and our ground here is clay. I worked so hard last summer...and nothing came of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kelsey - Good advice. These particular neighbors are our good friends, so it was just a conversation - we're not going to finish the basement right now because we don't think we'd get the return on our money type of thing. We're here for at least another few years - just hitting the stop sinking money into the house point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Try living in an apartment and planning your "garden" in pots on a 6x10 balcony. :) I get in a pot of herbs and some impatients and that's about it. I'm with you on the "so over snow" bit. Unless it's going to cancel work, I don't want it. PS where have you guys done day snowshoeing trips? Eldora?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't agree more. We are in CO too and it is supposed to snow tonight AGAIN. It is making me CRAZY!!! I can't wait to get out in the garden and let the kids out in the backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I love to garden. I've been flipping through my gardening magazines wishing for summer to come. I even bought some garden decor the other day. We're supposed to get dumped with snow over the next few days. I shouldn't complain, this will probably be the most snow we get all winter. We have hardly had any!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my gosh! this is totally my idea of the ideal garden as well! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your garden ideas! I used to be big into flower gardening, but the older I get, (it feels terrible to say that when I'm only 33) the more my back cannot take the stooping over so I'm stuck with shrubs until I can afford a gardener! I love your house, (at least the pictures you have posted)....I wouldn't ever want to move!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have the opposite problem. We are planning to stay in this house long term and there's a ton we want to do, knowing it will all be worth it, but we just don't have the money. So we dream and plan and just keep waiting. And it will all be fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree--ready for summer, AND having a garden!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmm- yeah- I have heard almost everyone I know say that they are sick of winter. I must admit that it feels weird to not have a 70 degree day here and there- but it hasn't been too bad. However- I am sad that you are not going to plant your garden. I can't wait to try and fail at my first this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sigh....gardens. I so cannot wait for spring. In our last house we were in a similar situation and my advice is stick with it. We did some minimal landscaping and it pains me now every time we drive by the old house and see weeds growing in it. Thanks for the pretty pics!

    ReplyDelete
  17. we haven't broke it to our neighbors yet that we will be moving. They will be sad to lose Ryan. They love him. I don't think they hate me, but def. like Ryan better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love looking at flower gardens, but I not good at growing them. I do try to do veggies and herbs though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know why, but I'm garden challenged. We might need to seek professional gardening help. I am sooooo ready for warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete