Let's start by saying that I'm not by nature an organized person - and I am definitely not an organizing expert. But this is the bathroom cleaning and organizing method that works for getting me out the door in the morning.
Our really brilliant builder (enter all the sarcasm you want there) put false drawer fronts on the cabinets in our bathroom - and the guest bathroom. So annoying. We could have used even one small center drawer that was functional, but we're going to have to wait for the next house for that. So, with only [small] medicine cabinets above the counter and two vast cabinets beneath it, a lot of daily stuff piles up on the counter. So here's what I've finally started doing to combat the crap:
My medicine cabinet is reserved for the small stuff that would get lost otherwise - contacts, glasses, face soap, toothbrush and toothpaste. These are the things that in a pinch are all I need to get out of the house in the morning or to bed at night.
I love the tumblers in my signature pleats that keep things pretty and organized. One tumbler for dental care, a juice glass for makeup brushes, tweezers and eye makeup, and another one holds a few weeks of q-tips on hand.
Everything else I use to get ready during the week goes in this LL Bean Boat and Tote bag - I live for these bags. Lotions, hair dryer, hair straightener, brushes, clips - if I don't use it in a week, it doesn't get to stay in the bag. I just toss things back in the bag as I use them, and store it under the counter again before I leave in the morning. Except it doesn't work that way every morning - some mornings I leave the crap on the counter. But if things pile up throughout the week, all I need to do is swoop them into the bag on Saturday morning when I clean the counters and we're good to go for the next week.
To the right of the bag are two storage containers I picked up at the Container Store a few years ago. They store items that are used once in a blue moon - hair products for nights out, extra shampoo and toothpaste, cotton balls - you get the idea. The non-weeklies get cleaned out every few months and the stuff I'll never use again gets the boot.
And that's how it works for me - gets me out the door quickly and keeps the bathroom vanity manageable so the weekly cleaning isn't overwhelming. B's sink and side of the bathroom is another story of charging electronics that I pretend don't exist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




Does your hubs use an electronic razor? Mine can't, it chews up his face, so I lucked out in that sense. :-) He shaves in the shower, so there's absolutely nothing to clean up. Seriously, he is the neatest guy I've ever met. :-)
ReplyDeleteI love organization! :-) I need to figure out a way to organize everything under the sink... It's a mess down there!
ReplyDeleteI have very little counter storage but a big bathroom closet with 4 shelves. I bought the small rubbermade plastic drawers to keep on the top shelf in the bathroom closet. I keep my dental stuff in one drawer, makeup in the other two. They can be washed easily and they are stackable so I could get more if I needed to. I am trying to find a way to keep all my hair products neat since they do not fit in those drawers. Right now they take up the whole second shelf and it looks quite messy. Towels are on the third self and a basket with curling irons, ect is on the bottom shelf. So I'm off to a good start at least.....
ReplyDeleteGreat tips. Just thought I would share with you a product I recently came across. You can transform those fake fronts to tip out trays. Check Infarrantly Creative she did it in her kitchen. It is on my list of things to do--doesn't sound too hard or expensive.
ReplyDeletehttp://infarrantlycreative.blogspot.com/2010/02/kitchen-makeover-faqs.html
Can you come to my house and do that for me? My "under the sink cabinet" is a wreck right now. I have good intensions at one point a while ago and those have all been pushed to the weigh side....
ReplyDeleteThis looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!
I am so stinking un-organized. Compounding the problem is the fact that we don't have a medicine cabinet OR drawers in our master bathroom. It's kind of a pedestal, so we also don't have counter space...OR room to put drawers, etc. It's a pain.
ReplyDeleteSo most of my stuff floats between the master and the guest. I should just relocate to the guest bathroom.
What a great idea with the bag! I totally have one of those I rarely use. I might try this. :)
ReplyDeleteI have a very similar routine except we have the smallest bathroom KNOWN TO MAN! We installed a huge cabinet above the toilet (and this post makes me want to go through it all and toss!) so that we could hold our things in there. I still have my makeup in the bedroom with my hair dryer/straightener in a basket next to the dresser.
ReplyDeleteNow it is my turn to be jealous- our bathroom is tiny. We have 1 (that is 1 total to share)- tiny 1950's medicine cabinet and a single door sized under sink storage.
ReplyDeletethat is such a good idea with the containeres under the sink. mine is just a mess
ReplyDeleteI like the containers from the container store. We have a very similar system - 3 baskets. One has hair stuff, one has makeup. They stay pretty organized and out of site. Ryan just has a small basket for his "necessities." It's one organizational system that's actually worked for us long-term.
ReplyDeleteYou know how some people salivate over food? I just salivated over your organization.
ReplyDeleteNow come over and do your magic on my bathroom. I will pay you in wine and shells & cheese. It'll be awesome.
Jesus Christ you're organized. I mean, I'm relatively neat, and I have places for things. But good god does our medicine cabinet not look a thing like yours.
ReplyDelete