Lent started last Wednesday. Last year I gave up 4 things - Chocolate, Diet Coke, Brick Breaker and French Fries.
I stayed off Diet Coke (for the most part) after Lent last year, so it wasn't a reasonable thing to give up again this year. After deleting Brick Breaker from my phone I couldn't get it back, so that's out. Chocolate and I have been on a break - I'm still trying to figure out where my sweet tooth went. And French Fries aren't really so much of an issue unless we eat out. But they're still a good thing to go without.
So this year, I'm going to church every week and abstaining from French Fries and Potato Chips. Not too enlightening, I need to develop a new vice for next year.
B was still deciding on Ash Wednesday. We were at Ash Wednesday Service last week and I asked him what he'd decided on.
B: "Well, I was going to give up all fried foods, but I really like the idea of giving up criticism."
E; "Oh, nice. Who gave you that idea?"
B: "Well, Em, I was actually listening to the Homily and the Priest gave me that idea. You know, 5 minutes ago."
Caught. So I'm thinking I should add listening in lieu of day dreaming in church to the list of things to work on in the next 6 weeks.
And for the record, B has been pretty good with not criticizing, unless you are talking to him about:
1) Tiger Woods and his press conference.
2) Apolo Ohno in general. Sole Patch, attitude, the whole shebang.
3) Sappy or ultra-personal and TMI Facebook statuses.
We're going to be much better (albeit boring) people come April 3rd if we can stick with it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




mine is to be more positive...very similar to mr. b
ReplyDeleteI cannot STAND Apollo. Also totally guilty of spacing off during sermons, which is especially bad because J's dad is the pastor!
ReplyDeleteThe chin stripe! No no no no no no noooooo. I can't even LOOK at his face.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your lent! I'm just glad you didn't give up the Internet. ;)
ReplyDeleteI still need to come up what I am giving up for Lent. I did a similar tactic last year....if you wait long enough to think of something, Lent is over. Maybe I need to break that pattern:).
ReplyDeleteGood luck, I've been eating your share of chocolate- so no worries about the candy companies suffering.
ReplyDeletegood luck!
ReplyDeleteNiiiice--good luck girl!
ReplyDeleteOnce, Mr. FC told me I should give up being such a b!tch. I told him I'm not Catholic so.....
LOL at getting caught! Good luck!
ReplyDelete