Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Shoes for Europe - The Saga

Shoes for Italy were hard to find - keep in mind shoe shopping is my least favorite activity.  I have bad ankles and over the years have done a good amount of damage to the ligaments in my feet, so I knew I needed a good shoe for a two week stint of a lot of urban terrain.  Throw in a need for a less casual shoe and I was stumped.  Merrells are my comfort shoe of choice - but when I was buying shoes for Ireland three years ago a more casual style was appropriate.  Not so much for the Vatican.  Have you noticed how the go-to brands: Merrell, Keens, and Primo only make Mary Jane style shoes for a "dressier" look? 

I'm not in Kindergarten.  And I equate Mary Janes with Kindergarten.  Just a personal bias of mine.  The first shoes I tried on last fall in preparation for this trip were these:

They were damn comfortable, but I couldn't get past the Mary Janes.  So I hunted for other options - made it through all the comfort footwear brands and didn't mind the sporty and more casual MJ styles - but kept coming back to the dressier leather in these shoes.

So I bit the bullet and tried them on again.  I told the sales lady, "We're going to Italy and the only shoes I can find that are comfortable enough to walk forever in and are dressier for museums are Mary Janes.  What's with that? I'm not 5!"  Then I looked down and took in her Keen Mary Janes.  Apparently I'm the only one with this little kid shoe complex.
Anyway.  With my long jeans and dress pants covering them, the Mary Jane styling didn't bother me as much.  I liked the slight heel - helped me feel less Kindergarten.  So I bought them this week - and I'm wearing them today to break them in.  That's the update on my Italy shoe saga - not 100% thrilled with the styling - although they're growing on me - but the comfort and appropriateness for our itinerary pushed me over the edge.


16 comments:

  1. Good find! I agree that if the only criterion were style, these wouldn't be the shoes I picked... but all things considered, they're great. You're going to have so much fun in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about mary-janes. They make me think of going to church as a kid and having to wear the silly dress socks with frilly lace around the edges that I hated SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are going to ITALY. You will not care about the shoes you are wearing. Just saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a pair of Dansko mary janes when I worked for a chiropractor in our former town. I was on my feet a lot and the sales lady assured me that they were the perfect shoes. And in an office setting they were appropriate with khakis. They ARE comfy...but I'm like you I really don't like the style. Well 4 months later we moved to our current town and I have not returned to work. It seemed a waste to have $120 shoes sitting in my closet so I wear them with my jeans, much to my teenager’s disgust! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't bring myself to buy Merrels, Danskos, etc. In my mind, I equate them to Chacos--everyone told me that I'd live in them, and they're fine, but I don't get what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these shoes. Then again, I am a sucker for Mary Janes. It must be the inner 5 year old in me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear- I love them. I adore mary janes. Hmm- I wonder what that says about me . . .

    And by the way- you will not care about your shoes as long as they ge you through the trip! I wore tennis shoes when I was there. What can I say? I was a poor college student. Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look comfy!

    When I went all over the place (Italy, Greece, Turkey, Egypt) I pretty much wore the same pair of leather Aldo flats. My companions thought I was nuts, but I wanted to look chic, and I found them super comfortable (even climbing the hills around the Parthenon).

    Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited for your trip!!

    I, too, hate shoe shopping. Especially shoe shopping with a distinct purpose. It's much easier to find exactly what you want when you aren't in NEED of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they look cute, but I totally get the "Mary Jane" hesitation, too. I have a pair that I barely wear because I feel like a little kid. But I think the wedge heel makes it more grown up. And, comfort is king, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they are adorable and you need a comfortable walking shoe. You're going to have a great time. Take lots of photos to share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am apparently immature and have always loved mary janes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I went to Europe a few years ago I bought some shoes like this:

    http://www.zappos.com/skechers-work-bikers-hobbie-black

    They look less Mary Janey and were super comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a thing against Mary Janes too. I think it stems from the fact that my feet are uber small, and in Mary Janes, my feet actually look like those of a kindergartner (a second grader might be more accurate). I do like the way they look on those with larger feet though, just not on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I am an American living in Florence Italy and I am also a tour guide, (I give historical tours of the city and the museums) therefore I am with (mostly) American tourists everyday and I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate your wanting to dress nicely for the museums. Honestly, the majority of people DO NOT dress nicely! You wouldn't believe the kind of attire I see! Flip flops in February! So, if you would feel more comfortable wearing your tenny's then go for it! Comfort is your first priority! I know its mine as the guide, I practically live in my Birkenstocks and my Adidas tennis shoes. Italy is amazing! You may already be here since you posted this a couple of weeks ago, if so sorry I hope your enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the dark color, heel and leather help them "grow up". And with long pants I'm sure they are fine. I could even see them with fun dark colored tights and a cord skirt in the winter- but I work at an elementary school.

    ReplyDelete