I'm in the process of revamping our guest room a tiny bit. Nothing too out there - mostly cleaning, shifting furniture a few inches here and there and just making sure that it's a cozy and welcoming place to stay. Remember how my mom has told me for years that I am rug and lamp challenged? She's harped on me about the lamp next to the guest bed for about three years now.
Now, it wasn't great - didn't make much of a statement - but I didn't mind it. And lamps are like shoes to me - I can appreciate good ones, but they're not the thing I look for first. Well, this winter, Caroline redid her basement for my dad - got him a new comfy football watching chair, reupholstered his favorite napping couch (because he wouldn't part with it for a new one), just did a little updating. And somewhere along the way she handed me the lamp she was replacing in the basement and said "Put this in your guest room, it will look so much better than that gross lamp you have now".
Being her daughter, I rebelled and it sat in our garage for three months - until last weekend when Caroline was up visiting and just went to the garage, grabbed the lamp, and moved it to the guest room. You know how only your own mom can get away with something like that?
And you know it pains me to admit it, but this lamp is so much better. Granted, it was an outcast to Caroline, but she knew it would be an improvement for this room. Now we just have to get some blinds for that small window so we don't have to tack a beach towel over it when people actually stay with us and a few more finishing touches and we're close to done with this room!





How about a pretty print for the wall above the bed?
ReplyDeleteIf your orig lamp was a little bit bigger, I'd say keep it. But your mom may be right. Oh! And um, how about sewing me up some of those headboard covers and bed linens of yours that I covet?
ReplyDeleteI really like your guest bedroom and the ticking fabric. And, Caroline was definitely right. The size of her hand-me-down lamp is much better. Although I actually didn't mind your first lamp.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not, I don't have a lamp in any of our bedrooms. In fact, I only have one lamp in the entire house. Shameful.
Caroline? Help a girl out?
I don't mind your first lamp either, but I do like the second one better, I think.
ReplyDeleteAlso, this is how much of a nerd I am--I zoomed in on your picture to see what books you have on your bedside table!
It really looks great! I had no idea a quick lamp change could make such a difference!
ReplyDeletemoms are almost always right! cute room..love the ruffles on the shams.
ReplyDeletea) I'm totally typing this comment with NO bra on. It's OK, I AM wearing underwear, so.....
ReplyDeleteb) Did Caroline (love that you call her that) use the word "gross"? I LOVE her!!
c) The lamp fits in seamlessly. And le sigh, I adore your ticking fabric. That whole bed just sings to me!
What a fun story! I love the new lamp. Guest are always interesting to put together (in my opinion at least) because we spend almost no time in them usually but people who visit spend a lot of time in them.
ReplyDeleteI definitely like the new lamp. Lamps are something that get overlooked in our house too. I also want to buy new ones, but I want to wait until I find ones I love, and then I end up never getting anything!
ReplyDeleteSorry, does it help to know it was free? Any thoughts about adding ribbon to the edge of the shade?
ReplyDeletehaving been a guest in this lovely room, i have to say i liked the shabby chic look of the old one but the size of this one-too bad you can't combine the two!
ReplyDelete