Pin It button on image hover

Friday, May 28, 2010

Window on the World

I need to clean our outside windows like whoa.  I tackle the windows on the main floor a few times a year and have leaned out our upstairs front windows occasionally to quickly wipe them down, but really they've never been cleaned well.  

So here's the deal.  Standing on the roof isn't an option because of the location of most of our upstairs windows, and ladders aren't an option because I am a klutz.  So I need another window cleaning solution, and I need your help.

I've seen the commercials for Windex Outdoor All-in-One and am considering it.  Anyone used it? What's the verdict?  I get the impression that it's not actually an 11 foot pole (I hate tricky advertising wordage), which would defeat the purpose of me not getting on a ladder.

What about the Windex Outdoor Multi-Surface spray?  Is it as effective since it doesn't use the pole? Anyone tried it?


I've been told to buy a squeegee on a long pole and use my traditional cleaning method - vinegar and water to get them clean, Windex to streak-free shine them, but that sounds like a lot of work.


What am I missing? Or what should I try?  We've got some windows that could really use some improvement, so how do you clean your outside windows?  Hopefully I can get this handled over the long weekend and report back next week.



10 comments:

  1. I tried both Windex solutions you have listed. I liked the All-in-One (the one with the pole) since it cleaned better and didn't leave streaks like the spray did. The pole is not 11' long. ;) It's more like 4' long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pay a boy to climb up on a ladder and do it for you. worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the Window outdoor stuff and it didn't work as well as I thought. Maybe if I had used a squeegee it would have worked better. Let us know how it goes, whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Umm. You are a way cleaner than we are. Just please don't look at our baseboards tonight, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to hear peoples comments too, we have a very similar situation. I've leaned out the windows too, and just not been able to get them really clean. I've used the spray, but that left streaks. I've tried the squeegee on a pole but that's difficult to control and ended up with streaks. I'm thinking of leaning out the window with the outdoor all in one! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family used to use a combo of the spray/squeegee. Just do it on a cloudy day, or it streaks in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Patrick cleaned our windows (old house) with that spray thing. he thought it worked, eh, it was better but it didn't look like the they were 100% clean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just clean ours from the inside, they pop in. Should I still be cleaning them from the outside? I'm confused.

    But, regardless - I need to clean the window, period. They are pretty disgusting. But, I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw the commercial for the windex system yesterday and then glanced at the nasty windows. I need to do something quick. I think the windex one would be great for the 1st floor, but the dormer windows are beyond my skill level.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whaaaaaaat....my windows need to be cleaned from the outside too? At least when they're dirty, I can walk around nekked w/out the whole neighborhood seeing.

    Let us know what you find works best, I'd love to know! But Em, I'm totally blaming you when screams of "MY EYES! MY EYES!" come from my neighbors b/c my windows are now TOO clean....and they can see me vacuuming in the nude.

    ReplyDelete