Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, May 27, 2010

May Flowers (and Showers)

We took my beloved IKEA window boxes down for the winter and B's been chomping at the bit to put them back up, but we had snow a few weeks ago which postponed my summer excitement.  I know next to nothing about flowers so last year we put some pre-arranged pansies in there, but this year I wanted something a little more thought out.

So, I went searching for inspiration:





Now, purple's usually my last choice - but apparently I'm drawn to purple flowers in window boxes.  Against our gray house with blue shutters, purple seems like a good choice - monochromatic yet pretty.



Now, remember how I wanted "thought out" flower boxes? Here's how I think: I went to the greenhouse and I picked up some blue flowers and some pink flowers, moved them around in a cart to make sure I liked the way they would look, and called it good.  A little pink to keep things fresh and bright, but mostly deep blues...okay, purple.  I cannot wait for them to fill out a bit more.  



The galvanized IKEA planter boxes are creating quite the firestorm in our IKEA-less neighborhood.  People want them.  Mr. B keeps trying to give away my third prized box when people stop to ask about them, but I am selfish and don't allow it.



On an unrelated to flowers but related to IKEA note, my sister-in-law is in California on vacation and sent me this text message yesterday: "Oh my god i LOVE ikea!!!".  It was music to my (a tiny bit jealous) ears.  We were meant to be.



11 comments:

  1. love your window boxes! i went for a walk around the neighborhood yesterday and was so happy to see everyone's flowers out. it's finally spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG..that first house is to DIE for :) I love window boxes and keep telling myself I will get some soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want window boxes, but I think they would look funny on our house.

    Also, I really need to get myself to an Ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, they are gorgeous! I am still upset that you said that purple is usually your last choice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yellow flowers would also look VERY pretty against your blue house, they have petunias that come in yellow of course also pansies too, and my favorite come in and orange yellow which are nasturtiums, look em up they are gorgeous and you can apparently eat the flowers in salads

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look great. I can see why people stop to ask about them. I am having M make me window boxes this summer. (We'll just have to wait and see if they make it to the top of his ever growing to-do list.) I, too, thought out my flowers a little more this year. So far I am happy with my results. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love those "furry" plants!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovin' that first picture you found. The plants look so full. I should have done all petunias in my window box, but I was trying to be creative. I may be pulling them out and redoing them this weekend.

    (And, I totally understand why your neighbors want them. But, tell them to fly to an IKEA like you did. Fairs only fair.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The top picture of the house that looks like it barfed flowers, is right by where I grew up. I used to plan my routes to drive by in the spring. My mom texted me a photo last spring during a rainstorm- the pots had little bright colored umbrellas covering them. She says there are even more pots this year.

    PS- I check ikea this year, I don't think they have the same window boxes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love, love those boxes. They'll be following me in my dreams until we get our own Ikea, you know.

    Until then, I'll just keep driving slooowly past your house. Daily. With my binoculars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This house is about a mile from where I grew up. I have a ton more pictures of their yard from an open garden tour I went to. You really will never see such a beautiful yard full of color like this home.

    ReplyDelete