Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Casco Update

Thank you all for your concern for our little friend.  He's doing fine, won't require surgery and the emergency vet was an alarmist.  Our vet examined him thoroughly and diagnosed Casco with a sprained hock - apparently that's dog speak for an ankle.

Part of me wants to write a scathing email to the emergency vet who told us that she could feel a tear in his knee and that he would require surgery.  Our regular - and trusted - vet had the report from the emergency vet - who had written that she didn't get any movement in his knee that would indicate a full tear and the need for surgery but thought the way he was lifting his back leg indicated a knee injury.  So why did she tell us that she could feel a tear that would require surgery and cause us to worry about it all day on a holiday when we couldn't do anything?  Oh I was pissssssed.


"Oh hai guys, if you're just going to leave this walk-off home run ball sitting around, I think I'll claim it for myself".


But B calmed me down because he's anti-his-wife-getting-arrested-for making-threats-to-an-emergency-vet-clinic.  Casco's been prescribed some painkillers and rest and ice.  The rest part is hit or miss with this one - he's either going 100% or napping.



So we're all going to be just fine - and hopefully we'll even get some of that much needed training in this month.  Thanks again for all of the well-wishes, Mr. Casco is feeling the love!

22 comments:

  1. So very glad to hear Casco is alright. I love seeing photos of him on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg mah pregnancy hormones can't handle these pics! must fly to colorado and cuddle with casco. too.freaking.cute.

    And I'm glad to hear it was mostly a moron's mistake and that he's going to be alright :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! glad he's going to be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to hear about that stupid vet! It seems to be a rule that emergency vets exaggerate everything. I've never had a good experience with those places.

    Glad to hear that he's going to be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, i'm glad he's ok! but sorry for your unnecessary worry :( casco is adorable and it's so sad to see dogs in pain when you can't tell exactly what's wrong. hope he gets lots of rest and is back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love the photos you've posted with this entry. And I love Casco and I'm so glad he doesn't need surgery! And if I lived closer to you I'd be asking you for the name of that emergency vet so I could make sure NEVER to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What about leaving a review on the Google Listing for the emergency vet place? You might keep someone else for electing for emergency surgery that wasn't really necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad the sweet pup is ok! i feel your pain about worrying! our friend took their cat to the e-vet who said the cat was paralyzed and would never walk,and should be put to sleep. the reg. vet's diagnosis, he was malnourshed and walked just fine two days later, i think those e-vets are craving drama!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank God he's going to be ok!
    I personally would be emailing the ER vet. Your pain and suffering needs to be told.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phew--glad to hear the good news. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad he's doing okay. That emergency vet better watch herself... that's terrible that she freaked you out.

    (And, I love that picture of Casco on the couch. So cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad he's going to be ok. How frightening to hear that baloney from the emergency vet - I don't blame you for wanting to write a nasty email!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, I'm glad he's ok other than his poor little "hock" - what a scare!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww I'm glad your pup is ok and on the mend! Sorry for the bad experience at the emergency vet...sometimes the people who most need it are lacking compassion. Making you worry like that over a long weekend is NOT cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad he's doing better & if i haven't said this before he has the cutest face!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AWW! Poor guy! He (and YOU) have been through the ringer!! I'm glad he's ok though!
    I love Mr. Casco. He is one gorgeous pup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh man, Casco is ADORABLE! I want to cuddle with all the fluff :) I'm so glad that it wasn't as big of a deal as you first thought and that he's healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is great news, Emily. Maybe you can look at it this way, if you wouldn't have gotten the extreme diagnosis from the ER vet, this one wouldn't sound so good?
    I hope the three of you have a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. phew! Glad he can still swim this summer! Love the photo of him on top of Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What kind of training? He looks like an angel to me!
    We did the knee surgery thing w/ one of our dogs already-sucks. I'm happy to hear Casco is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Casco breaks my heart. He doesn't even have to try, he just does. I am so freaking happy to hear he's going to be OK....seriously, my eyes are moist.

    E-vets scare me but sometimes there's no other choice! The one time we took Hiro for stitches in his paw, they said he didn't need them, cleaned out the wound, wrapped it, & sent us home. I'm such a OCD dog mama, I took him to our regular vet the minute they opened & guess what--stitches were needed. ::furious::

    ReplyDelete