The biggest house element that Mr. B and I theoretically disagree on are decks. Mr. B dreams of a big back deck someday, I'm partial to patios and porches. I generally make the argument that decks go with a certain - more contemporary - house style while the traditional house style we both favor does not lend itself to a deck. Now, I realize that some decks are necessary for connecting a main level to the back yard by stairs, but my preference in a perfect world is for a stone patio over a deck.
What about you? What's your preference for backyard dining/barbecuing/lounging? Are you all about the wood deck, or do you prefer a stone or cement patio or porch?
And speaking of patios - ours is coming along. I just have to replace the sewing machine needle I broke to finish up one project and I'll post pictures. We pretty much love our backyard now.
stone patio all the way :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletePatio. The house we're preparing to close on has a HUGE deck (by necessity...back door is 12 feet up the side of the house) and all I can think about is maintenance. Ha!
ReplyDeleteI love front porches that wrap around to a deck in the back. We are planning on building our deck this summer as we have one of those houses where the back door needs a deck to connect it to the ground. However, the plan is to build a smallish deck and have the stairs descend to a flagstone patio. We shall see how many years it takes us to achieve this. :o)
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see the big reveal!!
I'm a deck kind of gal. But I wouldn't say no to a patio! I'm excited to see your new outdoor space!!
ReplyDeleteWell our house has a covered porch now which is amazing when it rains, but I am still wanting to build a stone patio. So I guess I like both.
ReplyDeleteI like patios. You've seen ours--it's covered and I love it. It would be nice if it were tiled or something, though.
ReplyDeleteOur next door neighbor has a deck and Torsten covets it. It is nice but I think it just takes up so much yard space unnecessarily.
I like patios.
ReplyDeleteI much prefer patios and the like- but chris wants a huge multi level deck someday. We will see. . .
ReplyDeleteIf I had my choice, I would go stone patio all of the way. Decks are a lot more maintenance in my opinion....can't wait to see what you guys are whipping up!
ReplyDeleteI think I like porches best. Our old neighbors had a screened in porch (with ceiling fans and lights)with a small slate patio off that. It was perfect! Too hot/sunny/windy/chilly to sit outside, lounge on the porch couch. I loved it!
ReplyDeleteCould this be a regional thing? There are very few houses with patios and tons of decks around our parts. We love our deck, esp. now that it's stained. In the next house, there isn't space for a deck, so a patio on the side of the house may be a solution.
ReplyDelete