Pin It button on image hover

Friday, July 23, 2010

Kitchen Flip Flopper

You know those really annoying people who fret over something for years and never do anything about it?  I'm afraid I'm becoming one of them - at least as far as our kitchen is concerned.

I had pretty much ruled out the banquette seating I considered for the breakfast nook last year after Mr. B and I attempted to build Casco an elevated feeder (which we're replacing with a real one any day now).  Add to our lack of impressive box construction the complications of reworking floor vents and a low window that prevents comfortable back support  and it just didn't seem like a great project for the two of us to take on.

But I still need to do something with this area.  And this photo just about convinced me the banquette seating should be back in the mix regardless of our previous attempts at construction.


But even putting the banquette seating aside, I'm loving this inspiration photo - the high shelf, fabric, the statement the artwork makes.  I think one tall shelf could work in my yellow kitchen with some fabric brought down to the table somehow.  But I'll probably change my mind tomorrow.  

Here's the room that needs help - the chalk board is going away, but the wall needs something.  And please excuse our mess - this is what the kitchen table usually looks like when I don't sweep things off of it to take a quick picture for all of you.  And please excuse our boob lamp, I usually cover up but modesty's out the window over here these days.



So that's where we stand on the kitchen - in limbo.  Someday, I'll think of something brilliant that I love. Someday.  Until then, I'll entertain any suggestions you all have for adding texture, charm and character to this nook.  And if the answer is banquette seating, I need ideas on rerouting the floor vent.  I promise, I can still make important life decisions quickly.  I'm not totally annoying and undecisive...yet.

10 comments:

  1. I want you to have the banquet seating. You deserve it. Now bout that floor vent...see, I would just cover it up. Or ask whoever was building the seats to make them risen off the floor somehow to allow the air to escape. Is that not enough air? Who knows... this is coming from the girl that keeps punching her thermostat down to 65 degrees while her husband shoots daggers from his eyes. Maybe i should stop putting couches on top of our floor vents.

    Oh and then I would add long shelves to that wall like the younghouselove kids did to their office this week. Once again, this is coming from a girl with no originality of her own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shannon. You need to have that long wall shelf. And you also NEED banquet seating. I mean, how cute would that be with your 12 future children all squished next to each other?? I have no suggestions about the vent. But I'm sure there is a way to work around it. Even if the answer is to hire someone, at least you know your limits!
    I giggled about your adventure with Casco's food and the associated drama. Rob and I have totally had projects like that. Start with the wall shelf. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would do banquette seating in a heart beat - I wish I had a place to put it in my home. I've been told that moving the vent isn't that hard - but we've never had to do it, so I don't know. I just know that Tom and his dad think that it isn't that big of a deal. Anyways, I love love love that seating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stuck on most of my house, so I feel your pain. I know it wouldn't take that much time or money to fix a bad choice (in most cases) but once I'm done with a project, I'm done! I say go with the long shelf but maybe not so high. And frame fabrics of different patterns and textures. Did you see the younghouse one? I'm thinking something like that for my craftroom/office, I like the idea that I can change it up often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it. I'm pretty sure that you could put a vent in the side of the banquette seating to still have access to the vent. Not totally sure what that would entail, but I know something can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not crafty/technical enough to offer any advice on things like rerouting floor vents, but I think you should do the banquette seating too. Is there a way to make the banquette partially hollow, or with a hole in it or something, so the vent can keep venting? See... not technical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. howsabout if you just put a banquette along the longer, windowless wall behind a rectangular table with chairs on the stairs side? or you could forget the built-in and do a big comfy-cushioned bench or small couch along that wall? then you could do the picture ledge on that wall and just put a pretty shade on the window. it would be the same look but without the hassle of floor-vent-moving and window-finagling, and you could even avoid construction with a bench or couch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally agree with Lauren. I think don't do a full banquette but add a comfy bench to the long wall (with the chalk board). Then move from a round table to rectangular one.

    And I in IN LOVE with your inspiration photo!

    I think the fabric on this bench is great but maybe too much floral? http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/chicago/how-to/how-to-ugly-coffee-table-into-an-upholstered-bench-044939

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can totally do the banquette seating. I know it. The raised bowl was just a fluke.

    And, I'd like to say that the venting would be easy, but I really have no clue. But I know that Ryan worked soething out to allow the vent to blow air from under the kitchen island (peninsula?) so it's definitely doable. It's Lola's favorite spot to lay in the kitchen. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. so, when we do make it over your house... let patrick and mr. b take on the banquette seating project together, patrick can work the floor vents and he's really handy with squaring up boxes. you and i can spend the day picking out fabric for the seating and have a lesson in zippers for the removable covers!!

    ReplyDelete