Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Colorado Scorpions

Apparently I've never seen an earwig, or if I have I've blocked that horrific sight out of my mind.  The other night:

Me: "OH MY GOD THERE'S A SCORPION IN OUR BED".
B comes running.  Looks at me.  Goes to get a tissue, disposes of the earwig.

 He kindly waited two minutes and helped me strip the sheets off the bed before saying,
"Really, Em?  A scorpion?"


So, maybe insects aren't my stong suit.

18 comments:

  1. So I guess my complaints about the itty bitty fruit fly flying around my desk should be directed to someone else?

    I don't know what an earwig is either but the strange name leads me to belive I don't want to. Must.resist.googling.for.grossness.sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. eeeww.. i don't blame you. i tell tony "omg there's a HUGE spider here come kill it" - granted, i'm always exaggerating, a bit... :)
    i remember meredith talking about earwigs --- and i'm very sincerely hoping it's a western side of the US thing - don't think i could handle those! also resisting googling to check for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd have to agree that earwigs are pretty creepy. They were my biggest fear when it came to bugs....until I met centipedes in our last apartment a few years ago. Those things creep me out like no other. If I see one, you would think I was dying because of all the yelling and screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what an earwig is, I'm guessing it's not what I thought it was- the hair growing out of old men ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EEEEEWWWWWWWWWW!!!
    Earwigs may not be scorpions, but they are TERRIFYING. I had giant ones in one of my many college apartments. Not surprisingly, I also had insomnia when I lived there. ;)
    Don't feel bad. Anything with that many legs strikes fear into my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I ever saw one, I thought the same thing! Then I turned to google to find out what it was (because my husband didn't know, he only knew it wasn't a scorpion)--turns out that quite a few people who thought the same thing. I hope that makes you feel better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laughed out loud at this story (prob bc a very similar situation happened to us). Bugs in the bed are gross: scorpion or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. I had a run-in with earwigs this summer too!! I was minding my own business, watering my garden and potted plants, when they attacked! LOL I pulled one of my pots out of the "pretty pot" to dump out the excess water and about 60 of them scurried out of the pot I was HOLDING and the pot the water was in! It was the GROSSEST thing I have ever seend... and I was scared to go in our backyard for like 2 days! Then I googled "creepy pincher bug" and found out they are harmless so I'm not scared anymore. :) They are gross though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha! I did the same thing last week to my husband, although I said (screamed) to him "there's a cockroach in the bathroom". Said cockroach turned out to be a harmless earwig.

    Cockroach, scorpion, earwig. I see no difference. They're all terrifying and disgusting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Either way - yuck!

    Oh yes, the Miracle Blanket is FANTASTIC! We have two, just in case one is in the wash. Someone offered to lend us the exact same swing we have, but someone had already bought one for us. I thought the playmat wouldn't be out so much, but since I pulled it out, it hasn't been put back. It's a great way to go to the bathroom while the little guy is still entertained. I've seen some more neutral ones, so hopefully you van find one that Tommy loves and blends in a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad I'm not the only one! I found one in my kitchen of all places, going across the floor. I about had a heart attack thinking it might be venomous and kill me or the dogs! Eww - so gross.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok I've seen them and I know what they are, but I have never, EVER been able to look up what they do. The name is too horrifying and I just don't want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I would know the difference between a scorpion and an earwig. Heck, I don't even know what an earwig is, but it sounds scary. My dad was stung by a scorpion in his sleep. It didn't sound fun. I'm trying to avoid it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha - I had a good laugh at this one. However I'm with you on the "get it!" I can't stand bugs either.

    Take Care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am sure you know my hatred for earwigs. THEY ARE THE DEVIL'S SPAWN. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eeek! I don't even know what an earwig is, but it sounds scary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Listen, I don't care if it was a scorpion or an earwig or what, the point is that it was IN YOUR BED. AGH.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bwahahahaha!! I heart you, Em. Scorpion indeed.

    ReplyDelete