We've had a lot of different reactions to Thomas's arrival. Excitement, requests for more photos and blog posts about parenthood, anger that I didn't share the pregnancy. It's been fascinating. Mr. B said to me the other day, "Work blocked blogs. My day goes a lot more slowly when I can't see how many new people hate you for not talking about me knocking you up". That's been funny to me, since I never thought of this blog as a journal of my personal life, I didn't expect anger, but I can understand it (sort of). So, here's the deal: I'm trying to keep the blog to what it always was - decorating and cooking with a little bit of personal life mixed in. So Thomas will make appearances - he's a big part of our life now and it wouldn't make sense to leave him completely out of the blog, I'll ocassionally talk about baby things, but in general, we've still got projects and recipes going on here.
Life will change again in a few short weeks when I head back to work full time, but here's what my day looks like for now:
6:00 AM - Wake up, weigh myself (a neurotic daily task that helps me stay at or below my happy weight), feed the babe.
6:30 AM - Harness Casco, carseat the babe, head out for a run.
7:30 AM - Put the babe down for his first morning nap, make oatmeal for breakfast, chase Casco around the backyard with his soccer ball, shower and get dressed for the day.
8:30 AM - Feed the hungry babe.
9:00 AM - Head out for any morning errands - yesterday it was Target and HomeGoods to look for a tray for the new coffee table (post coming next week!). Important things, people. Important.
9:30 AM - Put the babe down for his second morning nap, watch mindless television and read blogs instead of cleaning the house.
11:00 AM - Feed the hungry babe. The person who invented the 4 hour feeding schedule did not have hungry boys.
11:30 AM - Tummy time. AKA listen to Thomas scream for a few short minutes until I cave and pick him up. Turn to the bouncer for his individual activity time and convince myself that my child will not learn to roll over until he's at least 6 months old for as much as he hates tummy time.
12:30 PM - Put the babe down for his first afternoon nap. Try to nap with Casco, end up chasing him around the dining room table with his soccer ball.
1:30 PM - Feed the hungry babe.
2:00 PM - Repeat the 11:30 sequence, throw a bath in the mix for Thomas and think about Kim when I'm wrapping him in his hooded towels.
3:00 PM - Put the babe down for his second afternoon nap. Clean up the house quickly so that it looks like I did something other than watch mindless television during naptimes when B gets home.
4:00 PM - Have Mr. B feed the hungry babe a bottle so that he won't scream bloody murder/starve when he starts daycare in September.
4:05 PM - Wonder if it's a bad sign that my baby has absolutely no qualms about taking a bottle. Are we bonding? Do I not make him enough food, fast enough and when he wants it?
4:06 PM - Get over it. Thank God for my short attention span.
4:07 PM - Family time. I love the 4:00 hour when B's home and running errands or going for walks involves human conversation.
5:30 PM - Put the babe down for his early evening nap. Make dinner with Mr. B, shower Casco with attention, eat together at the dining room table.
6:30 PM - Feed the hungry babe.
7:00 PM - Quick walk around the neighborhood with B, Casco and the stroller. Stories, Prayers and Bedtime for Thomas.
7:35 PM - Crash on the couch with Mr. B. Play cards, watch TV, beg for a foot rub.
10:00 PM - Wake the babe up for his nighttime feeding, put him back to bed.
10:30 PM - Bedtime for the rest of the McKevitt family.
between 2:30 and 4:00 AM - Feed the hungry babe and be thankful for sleep training when he goes right back to bed and sleeps until our established wake-up time. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.
I didn't used to have a daily schedule. If I wanted to go for a run, I went. If I wanted a glass of wine, I had one without having to calculate the time before the next feeding. If Casco wanted to play soccer, I didn't have to put a bobble head 8 week old down first. It's a big change. I'm loving every second of it. Casco's still deciding where he stands on Thomas - it's somewhere between tolerance and love:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





shame on anyone for giving you blog hate! this is your journey, you do it however you darn well please!!!! we will take what we can get of your beautiful babe and love every tidbit you share!
ReplyDeletenow, on to my real comments :)
ah, the days where life revolves around nursing! i wondered the same thing about bottles with Meg but it's worth it to start it early because they have to eat when you're not there. I think it shows flexibility. :) Besides, you'll know if you're bonding with nursing. Even my rigid nurser Meg (you now know what I mean) would snuggle up and loved when I showed her the milk sign!
and my babes were only at 3 hour feedings right off because they were born ginormous! chunk him up a bit more and you'll be good to go!!!
love you all, lady, and will always love your blog!
Thanks for sharing what your typical day is like Emily. I absolutely adore your blog. That picture of B, Thomas, and Casco makes me melt. So sweet!
ReplyDeleteseriously, shame on them for giving you slack for not posting about the baby. I was absolutely thrilled to see the surprise and was really impressed that you didn't share! I am shocked at what people put out on the internet, so you keep your blog what you like. Always love your updates though ;)
ReplyDeleteHungry hungry babes - it does get tiring, but most of the time, there is nothing I'd rather be doing. Your routine sounds nice, and it sounds like you are enjoying it. It goes too fast (I know it is such a cliche!)
ReplyDeletefirst, people are stupid. i love when i see commenters get upset when bloggers don't say what mrs. commenter needs them to say - step by step instructions, baby bumps, etc. it's your world here and they can get over it! i bet some were anon too - that's the worst!
ReplyDeleteANYWAY. you know i LOVE the pictures with the baby and casco. goldens and babies - both things that melt my heart. your little guy is adorable.
and i'm glad you have a schedule. seems like it's working well, and will hopefully make back to work a little easier..
keep doing what you want to do here - we like you just the way you are :)
People totally suck. I mean... I was surprised... like fall out of my chair surprised... but not angry!! And 2 seconds after crawling back into my chair I was overwhelmingly impressed with you for not typing a single whiny pregnancy post. You, my friend, are a rockstar. Rock. Star.
ReplyDeleteI love your daily schedule. I'm glad only one minute is devoted to mommy guilt. ;) Again... rockstar.
You are totally entitled to your privacy and should ignore cranky people. I was surprised, but very happy for you! I agree.
ReplyDeleteYou have a terrific schedule! It's always nice once the baby develops more predictable sleeping patterns.
Boys are hungry. All. the. time. During the day, I feed Joseph way more frequently than once every 4 hours. Subsequently, I enjoyed "feed the hungry babe."
And Joseph hates tummy time too - he never lasts very long. I think it's because babies sleep on their backs instead of their tummies these days. He is slowly getting over it. Very slowly. Tommy will too.
Enjoy your time at home!
Your little guy is adorable! And I love the picture of him chillaxin' with Casco. Precious!
ReplyDeleteI'm really surprised that people were angry! Personally, I was surprised, but when you mentioned that your blog has never been a personal journal of sorts, it totally clicked for me. The bottom line is that it's your blog, and you can do whatever the hell you damn well please with it!
ReplyDeleteAnyway...Lizzy still eats way more often than every four hours, so I totally sympathize with all the instances that "feed the hungry babe" showed up in your daily routine!
People are dumb. If they wanted to hear complaints about pregnant lady achey nether-regions then let them find another blog to read.
ReplyDeleteLike mine.
Anyway, thanks for posting your schedule though, it actually makes me feel a lot better about the coming months. I feel like all I hear from new moms is feeling like a zombie, covered in spit-up, no showers for days war stories. And that sucks. So thanks for the hope that I may be able to at least wash my hair again sometime this year.
Shame on blog haters!!! You post want you want, when you want. I mean it is YOUR blog. I do LOVE seeing little Thomas and ooeying over him for sure!!!
ReplyDeleteLove this! It makes me feel better about the fact that I also spend my down-time reading blogs instead of cleaning/laundry/cooking/paying bills or any of the other million things on my to-do list. I'm very impressed that you get up and are able to get out the door for some exercise in the mornings. I wish I was that motivated. I have a hard time doing anything before I get a shower....so then it seems silly to go out and get all sweaty. Hmmm, that isn't helping my 'get in shape after baby' plan.
ReplyDeleteHate? Yikes! I didn't realize anyone reacted so strongly, but I guess I don't always read the comments. Well who cares, if they were so angry they are probably not reading anymore anyway!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the picture of Casco and Thomas! Your boys are so cute together!
I LOVE the last photo, so cute! The one on the rocking chair is also very sweet. Your days sound so busy, but productive. Chester loves soccer ball too, I wish you lived closer and they could play together. I'm shocked (and sorry) people were so mad. Kind of odd.
ReplyDeleteyou should never feel ashamed of not sharing this very personal information! i am so happy for ya'll and man, your schedule is full!!
ReplyDeletePeople hate that you didn't share your own pregnancy? That's odd. I think some folks need to step away from the computer and get a life.
ReplyDeleteBut that's just me.
Thomas is pretty dang cute, and I have to say that the picture of him crying made me laugh. I don't know why, but I think it's a sign that I'm not ready for motherhood. Or that I am just mean.
And, I'm flippin' excited that T-dogg uses his hoodie. And, that I made it into your daily recap. That just made my week. (It may have been a boring week, but still.)
Sounds like a wonderful day. I'm glad you shared it.
And, ps, because I'm an idiot, what is sleep training?
ReplyDeleteYou seem to already know SO much! I am very impressed, as I should be, since I have no children of my own! Really, though, I appreciate you sharing your day. It is a realization I needed as I would never know otherwise. You are so fun to listen to and never dull--don't let anyone tell you what to do (especially with your cute little boy)! I can tell you probably don't anyways :)
ReplyDeleteOK, I know I'm a pregnant hormonal wreck but reading about your daily schedule made me TEARY. It's just so sweet and perfect! And Thomas is so beautiful. I can't wait to meet him! I can't believe it's already been two months and we still haven't met him! Must remedy that immediately.
ReplyDeleteShame on people for sending you hate mail for choosing to keep part of your life private! Especially something so special. Thomas is adorable and it sounds like you have a great schedule. Hope you are able to adjust to going back to work easily!!
ReplyDelete