I've forced tomatoes on our neighbors and family to keep up with the plant's production - and there appears to be more to come. I've also been inspired by Kim's canning, but I'm not prepared for that kind of work this year. So I just made some marinara and froze it. I've only tasted it so far, but it was delish. I liked this recipe because it was easy, required incredients we had in our garden, and each batch only needed about 4 cups of diced tomatoes - I can make as much as I want, don't have to make a huge batch that would be better left to canners. Here's the recipe (with canned tomatoes replaced with fresh, obv and waaaaay more simmering time to thicken up the sauce).
I'm freezing anything I can right now since I'm going back to work next week [insert sad and anxious Emily here].
When I freeze meals, I usually use freezer Ziplocs. I know, so very earth friendly of me - but no pretending here. I use plastic. Sue me.
Anyway, I freeze soups, sauces and really anything I can by pouring them into a Ziploc, laying them flat on a cookie sheet to freeze and then standing them up in the freezer next to each other- total space saver, leaving room for other really important things. Like Otterpops. And Vodka.




I've been looking for a good recipe for a good marinara sauce. Thanks. And since our new freezer is arriving TODAY, I can't wait to have the room to store all these wonderful homemade foods.
ReplyDelete....and breastmilk! That stuff can take over if you don't freeze it perfectly flat!
ReplyDeleteI love freezing meals too! I normally make a large batch of whatever (chicken tetrazini or enchiladas) and put them in two small 8x8s and freeze one, cook and eat the other. I love it! I feel like I am killing two birds with one stone :)
ReplyDeleteEek, back to work! I'm sure you're stressed about it but it sounds like you have a great daycare situation for Tommy all lined up and eventually you will ease into the new routine and it will be great. And if we can do anything to ease the transition just let us know! Seriously!
ReplyDeleteGood luck going back to work!! I've never frozen meals before... hmmmm... considering it now that you mention it. And I would totally use the Ziplocs! ;)
ReplyDeletethat does look good! i've been trying to make friends with my freezer lately (i've always been kinda unsure what you can/can't freeze...). we were constantly throwing stuff away, so i want to try to avoid that!
ReplyDeleteps - your freezer is waaay cleaner than mine!
I've frozen soups, sauce and chili before but I always forget about it and it gets all nasty freezer burn.
ReplyDeleteI am with you on having way too many tomatoes......and making marinara sauce. But I was not as smart as you were and did use ziplocs....brilliant!
ReplyDelete