Pin It button on image hover

Monday, September 13, 2010

Mum's the Word

It's getting cooler here - especially at night.  Is there anything better than waking up under the warm comforter when the air's a little bit cool? We replaced the flowers in our flower boxes with mums last weekend in anticipation of fall- I love oranges against our gray house.


I was outside taking these pictures when Casco's favorite family in the neighborhood drove up.  The dad said, "Don't tell me you're putting your house up!".  Apparently normal people don't take pictures of their houses for their house related blogs?



And, because I don't know these people very well (outside of the fact that their three boys think Casco is awesome...so they have good taste), I didn't feel like I should say, "Oh, no, I just have a blog about my house and am constantly taking random pictures and occasionally make fun of people in the neighborhood".  You know, just in case this family is good friends with the Pot Lady. Or the cultivators of the giant weed that grew into our yard.  So I said, "No, I just like to have a picture of the house and everything for insurance if we should ever need it."  ....right, because I think that far ahead.

So Casco's biggest fans now think I'm a paranoid nutcase.  Which is correct, but you now, we were hoping to keep up the charade of normalcy while we lived here.

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE the insurance excuse. Totally using that one. Although my neighbors learned long ago that I'm just the nut on the corner who takes thousands of photos of her house. I'm sure the neighbors at the new house think I'm crazy, too.

    One night I was trying to get night shots of our house, and the neighbor came out on her porch. We were waiting to tell her about the new house until we closed (which was still a few days away). She asked me point blank if we were moving. Uhhh....ummmm..... well. I ended up telling her, but also that the house photos weren't for that. I think she may have had an inkling anyhow.

    Love those window boxes, yet again. And, the mums are lovely. I just planted mums, too, so clearly great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to think on your feet! I just hope you didn't jinx it... I'd hate to see a big storm blow a tree into your house or something! (Eek!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I planted a few mums this weekend too. However, I was lazy and just got them at the grocery store. The guy in line next to me said, "you must think we're going to have a long summer." Duh, mums are for fall. I just smiled and inched my cart forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wonder what my neighbors think - I love mums when they're real full!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bahahaha insurance! That is a really funny excuse! I love the mums though. We were just admiring these giant planters of mums at Costco for $15. But we restrained ourselves for the sake of the budget. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mums and those planters. I wish we had a place for them.

    Did you do all the bushes and everything in the front? Trying to get some ideas for things that are evergreen and will add a little life when winter comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love your house, i really do! that style is just lovely (and, of course, you guys have made it great)

    haha that's awesome about the neighbor!! i always feel like a crazy person when i'm standing in the street photographing my house. especially since:
    1. my neighbors don't put much effort into their houses, so they probably can't imagine doing that
    2. our yard looks terrible right now, why in the world would i want to capture that look for forever?

    but i must document all seasons! :) and i agree with keeping your blog a 'secret' to those a little too close for comfort

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooooo..... that's the best answer ever! I'm totally borrowing it next time. I'm getting used to the strange looks from neighbors.... if only they knew... ;) HA!! Love your house btw -- so cute and the mums are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kylie - The shrubs came with the house (and we hate them) and they're not evergreen, unfortunately. I planted the hydrangeas under the office window, but the rest are builder grade and blah. We are always contemplating tearing it out and putting in new, but haven't bit the bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good. I like the mums. As for photos, you can always say you scrapbook and they either get it or they don't.
    Have a great week. We love to see any photos you are willing to post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have a gorgeous house. i wanted to get mums last weekend but the hubby told me no since i didn't do any yard work this year so it looks a mess. Im a little behind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The flowers look great! And nice job thinking on your feet! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the style of your house and that porch is awesome. That color combo of orange and grey would be wonderful in a bedroom, um I might have a new color palette for my guest room.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mums look great. And I L-O-V-E the stone on the front of your house. We looked at a house with a partial stone front when we were house hunting and I almost wanted to buy the house based on that fact alone. We didn't buy it, but one day I'll have a stone front. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Em, your home is quite possibly my dream home. I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So if I promise buckets of white wine and trips to Ikea, can I get you to come to PA and make the outside of my house look amazing like yours? Puhleeeeze???

    I'm stealing your mum in window box idea this week.

    Oh and I just saw your tweet over there on the right bout Tommy liking ceiling fans. Gabe is totally the same way! He sat on the couch tonight for about 45 minutes staring up at it...insane. But um, ceiling fans don't make for good babysitters, right?

    ReplyDelete