Naturally, I didn't take pictures once things really got going, but we had so much fun. Here are the invites I made and dropped off (I try to avoid evite if at all possible - I love printed invites!).
All the men (and some of the women) came griping about the caroling. But once the kids were into it running door to door and ringing doorbells, most people got into it. And it turned out to be so much fun! I can't carry a tune to save my life, but I sang loud and proud and off key.
We made far too much food. The biggest hit were frosted Christmas cookies. I feel for all the parents whose kids we hopped up on sugar. And my famous bleu cheese pomegranate guacamole was a huge hit - that is by far my most asked for recipe among friends. I made Clover Lane's Feta Dip and it was popular. We also had bacon wrapped dates and buffalo dip. The kids loved Cheese and Crackers and Lit'l Smokies...but mostly the sugar cookies. We had wine, beer and cranberry bellinis for cocktails, and pink lemonade for kids (in plastic cups) and preggos (in wine glasses - even knocked up girls like to feel festive).
I went all out on decor this year. Translation: I did more than put ornaments on our Christmas tree. I added garland to the mantle. I know, I'm a disgrace to real Christmas decorators.
We had a blast! We'll definitely do this again. When we were starting planning we said, "Well just do neighbors this year and if it's fun, we'll expand next year." But keeping it "small" - 12 adults and their kids - was fun. Almost everyone knew each other and had things to talk about. So it might just be perfect as a neighbor party.
It was a perfect way to start the Christmas festivities! I am so grateful for our neighborhood - and love that everyone is neighborly!





that is so fun! i love the invites! makes me really really wish our neighbors weren't all old (and crazy cat people- seriously, there are like 4 of those).
ReplyDeleteand your house looks lovely for christmas! just the right amount of festiveness :)
This sounds like a lot of fun. If I hadn't just had 2 major events in our home, I'd be all over this! Little Tommy is darling!
ReplyDeleteSuch a fun idea! And I've always thought it would be fun to go caroling... I may have to steal this for next year!
ReplyDeleteIt DOES seem like the perfect neighbor party. So lovely!
ReplyDeleteSounds like so much fun! Our only neighbor-friends on our block is the 70 year old couple across the street.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I can't complain because they are like adopted grandparents to Dave and me. : D
what a great idea!! your little man is getting so big! love it...i am also a disgrace to christmas decorators..not enough time or energy over here!
ReplyDeleteHow fun!!! Can I come next year? My neighbors are all antisocial. I still haven't figured out why no one trick-or-treats!
ReplyDeleteI think you decorated just the right amount. I get very tired reading everyone's holiday decor posts. ;)
What a cool tradition. I think I'd feel like too much of a dork. I like the decorations, I can never get ribbon on my tree to look so nice.
ReplyDeleteAwesome invites, Emily!
ReplyDeleteI love how your decorations! Sparkly & tasteful without looking like Christmas threw up in your house.
You make decorating/entertaining look effortless :-)
Looks like such fun! You folks are the party planning bomb. And, your house looks lovely. Your tree is so sparkly.
ReplyDelete